Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Idiopathic Scoliosis Problems as an Adult, Fusion Failure with Kyphotic and Scoliosis curves & prosp

jajalangjjajalang Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi I'm a former lurker!

As you probably noticed from my subject header I'm having a rough time, and I've mixed feelings about my prospective surgery.

Back story...

2000 - I'm 12 and have rather bad scoliosis so I have a fusion from T5-L4

2009 - I fell and broke my rods so... revision surgery
2009 - Fasciotomy due to compartment surgery (improper positioning on the table during surgery).
2010 - Removal of R5 screw (after paralysis of Right leg)
2010- Removal of lower hardware and irrigation after 3 major infections

2011 - Arms and legs go numb -- off to testing
2012 - Lower portion of spine is unfused and now I have a 74 degree kyphotic curve and a 54 degree scoliosis curve...

Prospective surgery: re-attach to existing hardware, instrumentation from T-5 to Sacrum, brace by attaching to pelvis. Adding osteotomies wedging my spine into a corrective place. (Apparently I'll be growing 3 or more inches?)

So I'm wondering... is all this really necessary? Also is it worth the risk of infection and other things going wrong?

I've heard of resulting numbness and pinched nerves, so I'm scared about what could happen. Also, since this is my 5th surgery how many more wholes can my spine handle? Where will they attach?

What is a realistic recovery time for a 24 year old?

I appreciate any information you share with me.