Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Music to my ears

bergbberg Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my first fusion surgery ALIF L4/5 two and a half years ago that never fused.

After 12 months and a new Surgeon I started wearing a BGS for a year,again no luck with the fusion.

Dec 27th of 2011 I went in for revision surgery PLIF L4/5.

I went in today for my 4 month check up and was told that I'm fusing. I've been waiting to hear those beautiful words for 2 1/2 years.

I still have pain and numbness issues but hey,one thing at a time. I will get thru this.

• O:) Congrats!!!!! <:P

Grade 4 tear in l4/l5 was missed in first MRI so did injections for a year
    SI joints "messed up" not sure if I will get them fused at a later time
    Had Open PLIF L4/L5 5/28/13
    Woke up to permanent nerve damage in legs and feet.
  • CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is wonderful progress.

Is there any explanation for the first fusion not taking? Did you do something different with the second surgery?
  • No I don't have any one thing that I could point at, it's just one of those hit or miss things I guess.

I do believe I was to active too soon. I would try to work thru the pain instead of listening to what my body was telling me and stop when the pain would increase.
    I was trying to save my job at the time,neither one worked,I lost my job and I didn't fuse.

This time around I've been super cautious with everything I do.So far it seems to be paying off.
  • with your successful fusion.

I noticed with second surgery it was posterior and with instrumentation, I know with my C-Spine issues and pre-surgery planning the posterior stabilizing instrumentation is big in successful fusion.

That's so good to reach that place :)
  • I definitely noticed a difference with the additional hardware. I no longer had those sudden pain spikes that came out of the blue for no apparent reason.I'm reasonably sure it was due to the loose hardware,and I'm sure keeping the vertebra from moving adds to a successful fusion.