Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello everyone

David DohertyDDavid Doherty Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in New Member Introductions
I woke up on Feb 28,2012 with extreme pain in my left arm and numbness in my left thumb, forefinger and left shoulder.they d

I thought at first that I just slept on it wrong and it would go away.
On March 1, 2012 I went to the emergency room and did an ekg and a cat scan. The Doc said that i had some bloated disc and recommended I set up an appt with a neurosurgeon.

I went to my family Doctor the next day as I also needed a new prescription for my high blood pressure and diabetic pills ( im type 2) He scheduled me for an appt with neurosurgeon and sent me that day for xrays. Before I could make that appt the pain got significantly worse. I went to the Doctors office and the nurse told me that I needed to go to the emergency room.
At the ER they gave me an MRI and the Doc Sent me directly to the spine center we have in town. There they decided to set me up with a Cervical Myleogram which took a few days to get.

on follow up the doc told me that I had issues with c3,c4, and c5,c6,c7 the issue at that time was c2,c3 looked worse but that my pain was coming from c6,c7 so they sent me to get a test where they put needles in you and test the nerves and electric shock to test the nerves. that test confirmed my pain in the left arm was coming from C7 .
The neurosurgeon decided to give me a steroid injection in c7 just to see if it helped ease the pain and he said it would let him know where he needed to focus on for surgery
The injection did lessen the pain but it did not go away fully.
I had surgery on April 17, 2012 They did a bone fusion on c5, c6, c7 and scraped bone away from the nerves in question.
I am in a cervical collar and have to wear a orthofix device for 4 hours a day to help the bones fuse the doc ordered me to bed rest as much as possible cant lift anything over 3 pounds or drive or anything really.

I must say that each day I am feeling a little bit better,
I had seen this site before but was in too much pain to type but today i feel well enough to do so.
I have a follow post op visit on May 1 and I am praying I will be able to return to work soon. I am on medical leave from work and on short term disability ( barely helps with the bills)
How I am feeling now, I am still having trouble swallowing from being intubated during surgery and have some pain in my shoulder and pain in my back from the surgery but the pain I was feeling before surgery is gone ... hoping it stays that way.

Thanks for reading,