Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 months post 360 lumbar fusion and scared

MaryAnne59MMaryAnne59 Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi Everyone,
I had a 360 fusion with all the hardware 2 months ago. This was a revision of a failed laminectomy and discectomy done 2 years ago by someone else. He also redid a laminectomy of the lumbar area and said there was junk everywhere. Had a cervical fusion last year for myeolapathy. Top notch neurosurgeon and ortho plus trauma sugeon at top hospital in major city. Did both fusions.

I was great, no pain. Walking 2 miles a day. My core is awful as I am not overweight but have had 5 abdominal surgeries. Surgeon did not want me to start therapy yet. I stopped pain meds which included Fentanyl patch. I had been on it for over a year and went through horrible withdrawl. Even dragged myself out during withdrawl to walk, rest of the 4 days was in bed dying. Was off all pain meds and so proud of myself.

Thought I was on a roll and then I had a horrible sneezing attack. Immediately, the pain reoccurred on my right lower back. Within a few days, it was stabbing, deadly and going down to my foot (heel) and numbness in foot.

The neurosurgeon thinks it is inflamed nerve and put me on medrol dose pack. The first fusion x rays look ok. I have one more week to see if it improves and he is getting MRI and maybe nerve block?? He says, the way he did surgery, it would be almost impossible for fusion to fail. But I have an awful spine. Every level is diseased. I am 60 years old.

I asked if this is just a glitch, a temporary thing. Of course, they had to put me back on pain meds. Thank God, not Fentanyl. I am so disgusted, did I go through 7 hours of surgery for nothing? The surgeon said he will fix it.

I just feel like I was almost there and would give anything to have even a couple of good years. If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate them.

God Bless. Hope all of you are successfully recuperating!
Mary Anne
Take care and God Bless,
Mary Anne

• God Bless all of you - I will pray for you. I will just have to work with my surgeon and hope for the best.
    Take care and God Bless,
    Mary Anne
  • and your surgery may have not worked out too well .i am in the same boat .i had ALIF 4 months ago and went through hell in recovery .i am free of all surgical pain BUT the pain that i went in for is still there as bad as ever .i don't think it will ever go .enough is enough i have done my surgery .every time i have had surgery my body has gotten weaker and now i need stupid amounts of oxycontin to control the pain ...i am nearly 46 .sorry i can't help but sometime it helps knowing your not on your own
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014