Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Good days, bad days

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:02 AM in Chronic Pain
I used to joke around, saying Oh,Oh, I'm really having a good day. Now I know I'll have to pay for this!
Well the other day I posted what a good day I was having.But didn't have any negative things to say. And I would really enjoy it now while I had it!
Well things have been really bad since that day! The good day was on a scale of 1-10 A 3-4 and the normal days lately have been 6-7. But the last 2 day's have been a 7, with tears.
Tues. I went to p t and said go real easy on me today, I'm not doing good.
Today Thurs. I told them I was worse, and if it felt good, do it. But if it was going to heart, don't even try it. He worked on my left side deep. And it loosened things up a bit, so he said do you think you're ready for my exercises now. And I said NO WAY! lets call it a day. I really thought he would do something else to relieve the pain.....but he said OK I'll see you next time!
.......Something is very wrong with this picture!!!....
And I don't like it.
Jim
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement

Comments

• Jim, I had a very good day after the nerve root block and it lasted two days. Yesterday my pain was around a 7 and I too was in tears. I bought an inversion table last night and after four times on it I was able to have the best day since my last surgery. I worked all day almost pain free.

Just keep an open mind and try every possible thing you can. I really had a closed mind when I was told about the inversion table and thought it was crazy. I am sold and wish I would have done it before I ever let them cut on me. Hang in there brother and soon you will have more good days then bad. Chad
  • It's tough when you're having a "good" day so you feel like doing more but know that you run a very fine line of maybe really paying for doing more with pain the next day...or so.

Maybe your PT misinterpreted when you said "let's call it a day". If you have another issue like that, maybe say "I'm not up for exercises, but could you do something to help relieve the pain?"

I've had the same sort of experience when I had PT a few years ago.

KarenD
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    Karen, I think you may be on to something.But I've gone to p t appoint. with my wife and they seemed to have way more tools in their tool box.
    Chad I've been on a inversion table years ago. But I just assumed that post surgery, it might not be a good idea. But I am over 60% fused.
    But bottom line. I think I needed to check out more facility's. Thanks for the info.
    Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Good and bad days are part of the chronic pain cycle as we all know and experience here, knowing when to push on and when to rest is part of that experience and understanding, it is very difficult asking patients to do more when they are hurting and I work as many do here with pain of unimaginable severity and do question my own ability to do this to myself.

Any intervention will increase the pain as a consequence and the skills is to separate hurt from harm, that is a professional judgement, and we have a right to say no to a point.

It is understandable that chronic patients feel that raw emotion which builds up over time, the release of pent up frustration and inner strength need to keep going and see a future, it is not easy Howie, and we are to be encouraged.We all have those perceived limitations where we need additional and specific help support and encouragement to break through, I have seen some patients in PM falter at the first step and with time understanding and an improved outlook perform more than even they expected.

Those who live with pain all the time, know what disappointment feels like, that one extra step will pay dividends in the long term, we were timed over a very few steps and asked to be quicker the next time, within 30 days I saw a man arrive with two canes, walk unaided a bit faster every time, it is something I will never forget for him and myself, he pushed through that barrier and that event still imparts some emotion even now.

PM is about what you put into it, no magic solution is possible to reduce your pain or your perception of it, just more hard work and that steely determination we use every day just to get through. I have seen knee and hip ops done and patients do PT very soon after surgery, they improved more quickly given the opportunity they may have wanted to stay in bed and were not given that option.

I care for you and if I thought for one moment they were asking something from you that you were not able to do I would say here, I can only offer words of encouragement and support in knowing they are trying to help you in a professional and caring manner to you and your situation, may I wish you well and good luck, may the good times roll.

Your biggest supporter. John. UK

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,040
    Jim, folks like yourself, John and many others here all know to well about the good and bad days. We've come to take them in stride.

In many ways, its the same about life, especially for those in relationships. It can be about debits and credit. You do the good things, so that it builds up your reserve, so that when you do something stupid to annoy (he/she) you have enough in the bank to offset that.

Too bad we could calculate that as easy for our chronic pain...

Instead, we all always have to remember the Spoons.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • How very true Ron, sometimes that balance of the bad exceeds the good and having put in all that emphasis in as Howie does all the time, those expected good days never materialise and associated credits ebb away like sand through our fingers. We do not feel the benefit just a kick in the pants when down and that is hard to rationalise or embrace.

I as you Ron, may look like I am able to take them in my stride and that notion is only ever a veneer, that thin red line is a precarious balancing act, where good days are not always attributed to our preceding effort or resilience. Knowing our weaknesses is a strength; my flare-up strategy is never far away ready and efficiency in not revealing the true severity of that excruciating, debilitating constant chronic pain, a positive in how skilled I now am in not presenting it to the outside world or myself.

Our strength is not in how many times we fall, but in the determination to get back up and carry on, over and over, that is a gift to ourselves, a necessary standard. We need more tools in our box and the right ones as Howie said, to overcome chronic pain, they take time, help, support and experience to develop, the good doctor in Intractable Pain IP says, do all those things that make your pain less, and nothing to make it worse, sometime we have to go through our own personal barriers to have access of additional and appropriate tools.

Hope you are OK Ron, you and you team do a fantastic job here, it helps me live my life and I thank-you.

Take care, be kind to yourself. John

http://pain-topics.org/pdf/IntractablePainSurvival.pdf
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.