Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Botox for pain?

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:02 AM in Chronic Pain
I've heard of it. But, really I thought someone was trying to peddle snake oil.
But now I wonder. Because I just heard about it again. But this time from a good reputable source.
Has anyone ever heard of this. Or better yet, tried it?
Jim
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
advertisement

Comments

• I asked my pain dr about botox for pain. He said its mostly for spasms,

But i heard other people mention they got pain releif also with botox injections,

I was hoping my dr would try it on me but never hapened, I could use some under the eyes also because all these years of pain realy has aged me and i want to look pretttty!

It would be worth a shot to try it out Jim if you can talk your pain dr in to it,

Hope your recovery is going well and you are finaly done with all surgery for good,
    I know i am done and if i never see another dr as long as i live i will be just fine,!

Once you reach a point where no surgery can help any longer it takes a long time for condition to set in and body geting use to new body mechanics and all,

Its never going to be for many of us as we hoped and always going to deal with some pain issues, I talked to a few old timers friends of the family who claim took them 5 or 6 years after there final surgery before it all setled in when surgery was not a 100%. Fix for them also,

So stick a fork in me i am done!

Best wishes!
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    They don't have enough botox to fix what all of these years of pain have done to my face! :O And I just ain't goin to look pretty :$

The recovery's going, But I think I'm going to need another speedometer. This one came out of a 48 ford and I ain't even sure it's still workin =))
    Jim :D
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Well if it came out of a ford it probably dont work!
    F=Fix
    O=Or
    R=Repair
    D=Dailey

Stick with chevy parts!
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Come on JIm And Alex even after all the pain and age .We all still looking good.

Jim
  • into my back trying to deaden the nerves that are causing constant muscle spasm in my left upper back. Unfortunately they didn't help and saw no relief at all. PM Dr said that sometimes it's a crap shoot trying to find something that works. I'm no longer with that PM Dr and understand they are no longer utilizing Botox.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • I asked my PM about the Botox injections since they have posters for it advertising it in the exam rooms.

My clininc likes to reserve Botox treatment for specific cases- usually only for occipital nueralgia treatments they told me.

They haven't seen a lot of success with it everywhere else (at least they were being honest). Or they make more money doing the ESI's?...

Even I could use a little botox around my eyes.... The aging process has begun and is escalating at a rapid pace..... :(

peace

Julie
  • A friend of mine was looking at getting Botox for vanity reasons and I remember reading a leaflet that she had collected that said it could be used to treat a number of medical conditions for example:

1) Treating an overactive bladder which causes urine leakages due to a neurologic disease.

2) Treating aggressive headaches and migraines

3) Treat people suffering from limb spasticity

4) Treat certain kinds of eye muscle problems

Botox has a large range of medical applications and uses. I think but don't quote me on it that it can be even injected under people's arms to prevent severe underarm sweating.
  • After 7 lower back surgeries in 15 months, the pain from the muscle spasms was pretty intense. My neurologist did a series of Botox injections into both sides of my lower back and it was wonderful! They were repeated every 3 months for a year.

"C"
  • There is actually some new info that suggests that Botox, even injected into muscles from spasms, actaully has some effect in the central nervous system, in possibly helping pain via certain afferent nerve fiber pathways and even depression. BUT, the double-edge sword is - OK - this is "new" for something that has really been used since 2002, so can this "central affect" have some negatives? Botox, Dysport, Xiomin, Myobloc, are such huge moneymakers for cosmetics they weren't thrilled about this central effect talk - but stay tuned.
    "C" After the series of 3. Did that have a long or short acting effect. How long do you think the effects lasted?
    Jim
  • Each series (8 to 10 injections each series) I would get better and better relief. After a year I no longer needed them and have not had a need for them since. Last ones were done in 2007.

"C"
    Now that's worth checking out. I'm going to ask my PM Dr.
    Jim
  • Jim, I believe Botox was for pain when it first came out. And like so many other things it found it's way to plastic surgeons!
    But Jim please do not use it in your face!!You will look strange coz your face will not move!! The only thing that will move when you smile is your lips!! People with Botox in their face look really funny.

Cueers :H
    Patsy W
  • Hi all! I just joined and want to comment on botox. Last year (2011) at the VA my nuerologist asked me to try botox injections in the muscles behind my neck around my affected area (c6-c7). The first time I thought I felt some relief from the constant pain, but it was short lived or I re-injured the area.

6 mths. or so later I was given another round in the same general area but slightly different injection locations. No luck that time.

Now I mostly live with the pain in my neck, feet and hands as I moved to MA and have no health insurance or VA coverage.
    Hopefully I get a job soon with insurance and/or get out of pain so i can work more effectively.

I really am inspired by the many great posts on this forum regarding pain and neck issues. I hope like some of you that have found relief and/or have been cured that i too will find some of that.
  • At my VA visit last Friday they said they were going to refer me for botox treatment. I still have very tense muscles in the back of my neck and shoulders since I had posterior fusion surgery in September, 2010. I will post any results of this treatment.
  • I know a lady that gets botox injections for migraines. I asked my pain doc if he does botox and he said yes. I haven't tried it yet. I need to see if my ins will cover it and if medicare will too. I would be willing to try it. If you think about it, it should work good. Sounds good to me. If you get it done you have to keep us posted. Good luck.
  • I had my first series of botox injections about one month ago. They started with the lowest dose to be safe. I haven't noticed anything different at all in my level of neck discomfort. I have a follow-up appointment next week and also in about two months. I will try a stronger dose at the October appointment, in hopes for some relief. I will post again then about the experience.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.