Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

horrible pain after 7 weeks

anusbutthurtaanusbutthurt Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey guys. I had lumbar discectomy and decompression of L5 S1 about 7 weeks ago. The first 3 days were godsend. I had no pain whatsoever but near the end of the 3rd day onto the 4th I noticed sciatica like pain returning. 4 weeks post-op I started PT and Accupuncture. I told my doctor that I'm having major pain near my right side of back down to my shin and that's preventing me from walking. I also have issues laying down on my bed to sleep and have horrible pain after I get up from sleeping; I notice sciatica pain in my left leg and horrible pain in my right.

I'm not sure if PT and accupuncture is helping since I'm drugged up on neruotrin and oxycodin. I can get away with not taking oxycodone but then the pain gets too intense. I have a fear that if i keep taking oxycodon 325 mg tablets everyday i'll get addicted but the pain is SO BAD.

I can walk but it's maybe 3-4 mins then I have to stop.

The doc suggests i get in exercise and walk 20 mins a day but I cant due to too much pain. My question is - is this normal? I did not have spinal fusion. I'm only 25 years old and I dont see much improvement. :-/

• Anusbutthurt:

I've got to ask - is that name Australian or Scottish, or what it really is?

Let me share with you. I had a fusion at L4-S1 in January 2011. Immediately after the procedure I felt relief in my lower spine and it lasted for about 6 weeks. Then I began to slowly develop other pain and I began to lose mobility. My pattern is still heading in that direction.

Here is what I have learned, and it may have application to your situation. The immediate and temporary relief is obviously the result of "gross" medical rearrangement in your spine. Over time, your body begins to respond by growing new cells and repositioning itself. Pain occurs during this phase, whether you remain idle or active. Surgeons want us to remain as active as possible so we "train" our bodies/tissue to reform in a desirable manner - one that provides ample range of motion, good blood flow, necessary muscle tone, etc.

I am not a doctor nor have I had your particular surgery, but I am a spiney and I think we share a common post surgery experience.

Record your feelings and abilities in a diary and share it with your surgeon. A good doctor can quickly review it and discern any patterns that may exist. They "manage" this for a living on a daily basis. We "experience" it once (hopefully no more) in our lifetime.

Another recommendation - read as many posts on this Forum as you can; particularly those which have some relevence to your situation.

Good luck with the pain and always keep an eye out for that friend of pain - depression.
  • Welcome,

I had a plif, "lumbar fusion" on 03/13, so I'm right behind you. I too had major issues with swelling and it causes havoc on the system, making a lot of us think there are new issues. In some cases there are, but like the other people have said it's probably not a major issue.

I have one thing to say. "ICE, ICE, ICE" okay, well that's 3 but I can't stress it enough that ice is the savior for post-op issues. The incision / operation site swells, pushing on nerves, bones, and all the fragile things in the back. I would do these 3 things.

1) use a muscle relaxer(Change it if you don't feel any relief.)
    2) Ice, Ice, Ice.
    3) Keep walking - it's the best back strengthener
    Left foramina stenosis of L3/L4 (retrolisthesis)
    L2-ilaic revision fusion ( loose screws) with a laminectomy at L3 (cage at L3-L4)
    (PLIF) -@ L4/ L/5 - S1 (cage at L4/L5)