Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I've made it!

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Good News
I am a bit excited. I was at my monthly visit with my physiatrist and as always we go over my medical situations, the medications, changes, etc.

She asked me again as she has before "How do you feel about your shoulder surgeries?" As my general response is to thrust by arms 90 degrees over my head, I say "FINE"

Then she asks "And your Hips?" Well, I couldnt thrust those 90 degrees anywhere, but I said "FINE"

So then she says to me "Ron, would you mind if I had some of my patients talk to you about joint replacement surgery?"

I was floored, I quickly said "YES"

She told me that she has some patients, some older than I am so younger , that are so reluctant to go through joint replacements, especially after they have had spinal surgery.
She believes I would be the perfect person to sit down with them and go over all the pros/cons.

And she also said, that she would like me to attend one of the on-going physicians meetings to talk about my medical past, history and where I am today. Again, I was floored.

I cant wait till I get the chance to do this. Friends asked me if I was scared or worried about talking. Well, you folks that now me here, know I can go on and on and on and on. And at the wine store, the owner asks me once in a while if I can keep a sales talk and wine discussion under 20 minutes.

I am psyched for this.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Ron:

There is nothing more valued than the word of a peer. Take advantage of the opportunity to provide some awareness/education/encouragement to those considering surgery. In addition, your participation will also provide a sense of peace to them. There is no way to financially quantify that additive effect.

Mental and emotional preparation is just as important as physical. Your input supports two out of three, and Meatloaf made a bunch of money off a song that addressed that very point.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    You are right

Two out of Three Aint Bad!

Okay, here we go, we got a real pressure cooker going here. Two down, nobody on, no score, bottom of the ninth. There's the wind-up, and there it is: a line shot up the middle. Look at him go, this boy can really fly. He's rounding first and really turning it on now. He's not letting up at all, he's gonna try for second. The ball is bobbled out in the center and here comes the throw and what a throw! He's gonna slide in head-first, here he comes... he's out. No, wait, safe! Safe at second base! This kid really makes things happen out there. Batter steps up to the plate. Here's the pitch, and he's going, and what a jump he's got, he's trying for third. Here's the throw... It's in the dirt, safe at third. Holy cow, stolen base. He's taking a pretty big lead out there, almost daring them to try and pick him off. The pitcher glances over, winds-up and it's bunted. Bunted down the third base line and the suicide squeeze is on. Here he comes, squeeze play, it's gonna be close. Here's the throw, here's the play at the plate. Holy cow, I think he's gonna make it...
  • On point my friend. You and I share a common background.

By the way, Meatloaf will be performing in Nashville in late August.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    Lines between women and men and we ended it with

Ah, ah, ah, ah-ah-ah,
    Let me sleep on it
    Baby, baby let me sleep on it
    Oh, let me sleep on it
    I'll give you an answer in the morning

I was lucky enough while I was coaching young womens softball, that I meet Meatloaf.. He comes from only a town or two away from me and he coaches womens softball. But honestly, I was a bit star struck to really get into a conversation with him.
  • way to go Ron :D
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Hmmm how these guys went from talking about talking to old people in dipers about hip replacement to baseball to meatloaf i just cant figure it out,

The part of coaching womans softball team had my attention, Locker room and showers hmmmmmm, Oh sorry i was thinking out loud,

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • No where to go but up from here. Many people will learn from the voice of experience. Not the greatest thing to have to endure all these replacement surgeries but now it will help to share what you've been through to others. That's the most important thing in life is helping others and the feeling of satisfaction and purpose. Hugs Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • l. Wonderful hubby!
    2. Wonderful children, grandchildren, great grandson.
    3. Survived colon cancer.
    4. Entered hospital due to stroke in 2010 unable to walk unassisted or to speak clearly. Left hospital 3 days later walking without assistance, talking and remembering all my passwords! Nurses said I was either very lucky or a miracle; maybe both.
    5. So happy we installed electric stairchairs prior to my finally getting knee replacement; they come in very handy now.