Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

LadyInTexasLLadyInTexas Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Osteoporosis and Fractures
I am 52 and have osteoperosis among other arthritis issues however, I feel backwards today and landed on my tail bone. I did go to the E.R. due to my issue osteoperoris to have that checked, and they said I have a "bad contusion". Dr. said "A break would have been better". I am confused, why would a break be better, is it due to my osteoperosis, I was so stunned at his comment I didn't ask him, and he left the room. He did give me a script for Vicodine, which I have never taken and will talk to my pharmacy guy about that.

Any suggestions or answers would be of great help.

• I fell on my tailbone several years ago and did in fact both fracture and displace my tailbone. It took several months before I could sit without pain and stand as well for that matter.
    What the doctor meant by his comment was that there is little that can be done when the tailbone is injured and a deep bruise is going to hurt for a longer period of time, than a fracture would...because of the bruising, there is a bit more tenderness involved due to the leaking of the blood vessels which cause some swelling as well as the pain from the bruise itself.
    Vicoden is a combination of hydrocodone and tylenol. Depending on the strength the ER doctor gave you, it may contain 5 mg of hydrocodone and 325 mg or 500 mg of tylenol. There are other strengths as well -the first number tells you the amount of hydrocodone and the second number tells you the amount of tylenol in the medication.
    I hope that you find it helps. I also wound up buying a donut ( inflatable) which helped when I needed to sit to make it less painful. It took the pressure of the fracture.
  • I personally think that having a contusion is better than having a fracture. It is very hard to have a fractured spinal coccyx, really hard to manage. I believe you need to be careful next time so you do not have to worry about this kind of stuffs.
  • I agree with jeanreyes. With your age, I would prefer a contusion since people with your age will have a hard time recovering from a fracture due to slow bone growth.
  • Hi LadyInTexas. Hope you are doing good by now. A contusion can sometimes cause hematoma. A pool of blood collects within damaged tissue, forming a lump over the injury. There is a risk of tissue damage as well. Maybe that's why the doctor said what he did. But I hope all is well. Take care.
This discussion has been closed.