Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

muscle weakness in neck after posterior cervical fusion HELP

achyneckaachyneck Posts: 163
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Over the past year, I have had 2 posterior c1-c2 fusions (first one failed). In between, I was only strong enough to return to work part time (up to 30 hours a week). I am now 3.5 months after my second surger and have had to return to work since my temporary disability ran out. While I have an office job, and have made adjustments to my workspace (have both stand up workstation and desk, frequent breaks, etc), I still get burning on the back of my head and pain/pressure in my temples if I am up too long. I know that my neck muscles are weak. I am still wearing a miami J collar about 80% of the time and go to PT 2x/week and massage weekly. Unfortunately, due to the pain, I still rely on pain medication to get through my day.....
So I guess my question is, for all you other neckies out there, how long until my neck muscles start recovering? I am losing my patience!
April 2011 C1-C2 Fusion (Brooks wiring)
January 2012 C1-C2 Revision Fusion (Harms Technique)
2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations

• patrain17ppatrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 103
    I'm about 5,5 months out of occiput to C3 fusion following a decompression surgery. My surgery as relieved me of a lot of pain, numbness, tingling and so on. It also left me with a lot of muscle weakness and limited movement of my neck. I'm working with a PT to improve my neck movement (as much as possible, which might only be 50% of normal neck movement) and to get my neck muscles stronger. Improvement as been slow but steady and some days are worst than others. I think patience is in order. Doctors say that it can take as much as a year to get back at a 100% and that this 100% will never be as good as it was before you stared having problems. In my case, I'm feeling so much better now than before the surgery that I'm willing to live with the effects left by my surgeries. I hope your recovery can be as positive as mine. Take care!