Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

BackandJustMEBBackandJustME Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in New Member Introductions
Good Day all-

Just wanted to take a moment and say hello as well as a big THANK YOU to everyone for their posts. I am 3 weeks post Microlaminectomy at L-5/S1. 36 yo female who does not like to slow down or ask for help.

My dear Orthopedic surgeron is just saying - your doing great. Walk a half mile a day (with walker)

I am soooo off balance without it, but can walk short distances without it.

I am here not only for information, but moral support as I feel like I am stuck forever in the precurious situation.

When I read online at other sites, it paints a grim picture. Hopefully there is something more positive out there.

AM I losing my mind, dont feel like I am getting any better!?

Any advice is much appreciated.

• You are just a baby spiney!

Things will get better as you progress along this road.
    Very improtant to follow all the rules (no Bending/Lifting/Twisting).
    Definately do regular walking, slowly building up the distance. I was told that walking is the most important thing you can do to aid healing and recovery. I found, even if I started off in pain, as I walked, things got better and by the end of the walk I was glad that I persevered.

Do keep using your walker if you are off balance without it. You don't want to fall!

You are going to have to be a patient patient. Spinal surgery takes time to heal, and those nerves can be very irritable for a while.

3 weeks is so early, and it is perfectly normal to feel that you can't notice any improvement yet. Think what has been done to your body. It has had a great trauma; with the muscles and possibly the bones being cut and the nerves moved about. Even a microlaminectomy, although the incision is smaller, under the skin, the same trauma has been done.

Find some things to do to pass the time. Distraction is a great way to pass the time. Is there a book that you have always wished you had time to read, a DVD you wanted to watch, some craft activities you want to try? I wrote a short story for my granddaughter.

Some good advice that is often mentioned on here is to measure your recovery in weeks rather than days. Then you will be less liable to be disappointed.

Welcome to our friendly group. You will find lots of support here from others who have experienced spine pain and many of us can remember the frustrations of how long this recover can be.

Hang around and make some friends. :H