Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New - C5/6 stenosis, myelopathy maybe?

hoffdnahhoffdna Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, and thanks!
I will see the neurosurgeon first time on May 1. In 2004 I had discectomy at C5/6. The surgeon then went through the back because it was "one of the worst herniations" had ever seen and could not do the surgery from the front.

Over the past year I have had intermittent problems with burning pain between my shoulder blades. For the past two months I've had noticeable clumsiness in my left hand.

A few weeks ago, an MRI showed some DDD, osteophytes at C5/6/7, and stenosis at C5/6.

I know I will find out more next week, but the wait is killing me. The pain is tolerable, but I suffered permanent nerve damage after the first herniation and I want to minimize any further damage. I am 36.

Some of my symptoms don't seem to match what I have read here and other sites online. My pain is slightly better if I sit very straight, not when I bend forward. I guess that's the main thing that doesn't match. I'm not too scared of having another surgery as I have a very supportive family and boss, I'm just worried about having this (possible) surgery cause more osteophytes/stenosis down the line and just continuing the process.

I would welcome any input or personal stories to help me put this in perspective!

• Good luck for your appointment. You will get answers then about your MRI. I had some hand clumsiness before my surgery and still do sometimes. With me, my pain in my shoulder blades was caused by muscle spasms and muscles pushing against the nerves in the shoulder blade.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Hi,

I feel like I'm going through what happened to you the first time. I had my doctor say the exact thing, but I asked for a wait and see approach to try and avoid surgery since I'm young (23), but my relief would only come with my arm directly above my head. I just scheduled my PCM for the 16th. Scared To Death! Sorry for rambling..

In your case and mine, symptoms didn't match up exactly which confused my doctor and myself a little bit. I really hope you get some good news or at least some relief in knowing what's going on. The unkown makes me anxious when it comes to health. Keep everyone updated on how it feels or what you hear back.

Don't forget to read mine :) I'm struggling with my situation.

• Weston - how did your surgery go? I hope it helped!