Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I've recovered some, but still hurt

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Chronic Pain
If you clicked on my name and read my medical history. You would see that I should be used to this. But this recovery is so slow that even with a history like mine. I just can't believe anything could be so slow and painful. I take a fist full of pain meds. and at my next appointment I'm going to have to ask for more or stronger or something. And I just had a change from hydrocodone to oxy. And it's still not covering the pain. I admit this was the most invasive surgery I've ever had. 2 level fusion and a decompression open laminectomy of 3 levels and exploratoration. The laminecomy was a surprise bonus!
Have I just had it with pain? Or have I just become a sissy.I do know that I'm SO DONE with pain that I can't stand it. But at the same time I'm done with the meds and what they do to my mind.
And I've got 18 mos. or more of this to put up with.
Well that's my bitching for the week!
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!

• Uggh...I don't feel your pain. I would say I feel your pain but it just seems like it's gotten more intense. I doubt you've become a sissy. I suspect that yes, you are getting tired of it which is why you think you are a sissy but you are not.

I hope that the next 18 months goes by quickly for you OR that you find less pain much more quickly. You've been through so much.

Pain and meds do indeed do a number on your mind. Hang in there...we are all here for you in spirit.
  • Jim, you are no sissy. You have been to hell and back, and I think that the door is still open for visits. Your prior surgeries caused damage to your nerves. The surgery you had a couple of months ago probably tried to get some of the pressure off those nerves, but the surgery in and of itself caused further trauma to those nerves -- just by going in there again. So, you had old surgery which degraded and caused pain, then you got more damage to other areas, more surgery, more pain compounded on more pain. You are definitely no sissy. As I've told Tony, and as I'm sure you know, the road is long. I know there are days when you are just sure you can't take another minute of it. Then every now and then there are moments of relief. You have to hold onto those moments and hope that they get longer and longer and more and more frequent. My best recommendations are ice packs (I like those semi-soft blue ones from Chattanooga), physical therapy (see if you can find someone who is skilled in Graston Technique), and walking, walking, walking (even if it's only around the block).

Hang in there. Better days are coming. In the meanwhile, there are many of us who will listen no matter how much you whine, because we know you are no sissy.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Dude if you became a sissy then we all have, This pain can suck the life out of anyone,

I dont care how positive a person is and how strong you might be spine pain is a mother trucker!

On a bad day even geting dressed gets frustrating when i am stumbling around like a drunk legs and hip hurting so bad i am ready to kick a hole in the wall,

Once meds are no longer helping you know everyrhing is so tight nothing in the world will help other then spend almost all day stretching,

At least that is what i realised, Without stretching the leg muscles and other muscles meds are worthless,

I sfoped going to the ymca because incision had to heal from the scs implant and i need to get back in the pool again before i go postal, They have a sauna and that moist heat and stretching in there i usualy would come out feeling like i was born again,

At least for 24 hours anyways, If you can find a place with a pool and sauna go for it,
    Beter then any medication in the world,

I am going to shoot for it tomorow morning hopefully,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    On my last regular appoint. I told him the hydrocdone was no longer working. And he had just increased the milograms on it. He wanted to increase the milograms again! I've been asking him to replace it for a long time. But he just keeps increasing the mg.
    We'd already gone up to 25/25 apap. And I felt that was high enough already. I'd been on the stuff too long. And I just didn't feel like it was effective anymore. And asked if he would try something different. So he came up with 30mg.x3 a day. of exacting (hcl).
    It seemed to work alright, but didn't last. So I made a appoint. to see what he could do. He said he felt we were just chasing the pain. I take 10 mg.x5 a day of methadone. and 5 mg. x3 a day of diazepam. So it's pretty much a witches brew. So he asked if I was out of the oxy. I said no but if I would have taken 4 a day without asking you, I would be. And I didn't want to do anything without your approval. But that I would like to increase the mg. or the x per day. And he said good let's try 4 a day and see how that works. He really doesn't like oxy. I can see that by the amounts that people on here take. Anyway he said let's try that and see how it works for you. So we will see.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
This discussion has been closed.