Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Constant spasms and pain

force12cfforce12c Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
To start on 9/3/2011 I feel off the roof of my trailer and fractured C1,C2, and C3. Below is the radiology report.
1. There is a non displaced fracture of the right lateral aspect of the posterior C1 ring, just posterior to the lateral mass. This is not displaced.
2. There is a vertically-oriented fracture involving the C2 vertebral body.Fracture involves the right sided body of C2extending from the base of the odontoid inferiorly, and extends to the right-sided neural foranen.There is no evidence of neuroforaminal compromise.
3. Fracture extends to involve the C3 vertebral body, including the posterio-lateral aspect of the vertebral body, and extending through the right-sided vertebral artery foramen. Again, no definite compromise of the foramen is seen. No displaced bony fragments are seen within the foramen. There is also a fracture lucency which is obliquely-oriented extending through the body of C3, again without significant displacement.
i was started on physical therapy on 1/10/2012. I have between 10 and 15 degrees movement to the left.
I also have a unhealed fracture at the C2 level.
The Dr. thinks the C2 fracture will heal without surgery but He does not know how ling it will take. I only have until the last working day in August 2012 for it to heal fully or my employer will terminate me.
What can I do for the pain which is constant? I can't tolerate driving for much over thirty minutes nor can I sit up. I even have pain and neck spasms while laying down.

• I too had a fall, fxC345, with a displaced piece compressing the cord. I had to have surgery urgently.

I am wondering why your C2 fx isn't healed by now, and with an unhealed fx, why you're in PT. Are you still in any kind of collar? Have you gotten a second opinion? What meds, if any are you on?

There are so many factors that can interfere with healing. Do you smoke? Do you walk? Diet?

I'm disabled from my fall, I still have chronic pain, but I take a gentle yoga class and swim with a kickboard. I use a heating pad almost every night to help with pain & muscle spasms.

Each of our roads are different, and so are the paths to recovery. I hope you find answers to your questions.

These statements are only my opinions.

• I was removed from rigid cervical collar 01/10/12. New CT-Scan on 2/22/12 showed non-healed C2 fracture involving the right base of the C2 vertebral body with extension into the pars interarticularis. Also a fracture line that extends to the right transverse foramen. Meds; Atenolol for BP, Zanaflex for spasms, Nabumetone for arthritis, Oxycontin for pain. Non-smoker.
    The neurosurgeon says the fracture is stable but He will not allow PT to use traction. PT was stopped because PT needs to do manual manipulation of vertebra and they are afraid they will make the fracture worse.
  • I'm glad they stopped PT, but sorry the fx still hasn't healed.

My NS told me the vibrations from driving/riding in a car would cause more pain, and for me this is true.
    I was on opiates for pain for a long time but have been able to wean off and use Tramodol now. I also use my heating pad to help if I get muscle spasms. Some people use ice to help with the pain.

I hope that you will be able to get some relief soon.