Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All NEW members, your first discussion needs to go through a moderator's approval process before it can be published. Please dont create duplicate discussions.

Broken screw after back surgery

BarbaraMBarbaraM Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 2:02 PM in Lower Back Pain
Has anyone had a screw break after a fusion was done? Trying to help my son(Vibrant 30 yr) find answers of what to do..he had his L4-L5 disc fused approx 1 yr ago..he has been in severe pain..went to er doc they told him from xray about that a screw was broke..he took that xray back to his surg and he denied seeing anything?? We had another Chiropract doc view xray & he said" how are you tolerating this pain with the screw broke & pinching into nerves? His surg said there was nothing else he could do for him since PT didn't help ( was too painful to tolerate) We are not looking for anything other than to get His Back fixed & get him out of Pain so he can regain his quality of life & work his job without being in severe pain everyday?/ HELP Please if you know/ any advise/ or have experienced this..trying to find out WHO do we go to and Who will touch him to fix anothers error (or malfuntion of screw itself?)...
advertisement

Comments

• First I am so very sorry this has happened to your son.

Yes I know members here that this has happened too and they all have needed surgery to repair it. I am not saying that this always requires surgery. I am saying everyone I know has had to have surgery.

Your surgeon really should be the one to fix this BUT with his attitude being what it is I am not sure I myself would want him to do surgery on me or my child.

I would not take just the actual x-rays but the report from the radiologist with you to a new surgeon and see what he/she thinks.

Please do come back and keep me updated. I will be praying/thinking about your son :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • i agree with mshumpty by getting your hands on the radiologic report. i hope things work out for your son. perhaps the surgeon is trying to cover his donkey by denying things . . .
  • I know how he is feeling!! I have hardware broken after 6 months, but my surgeon is going to fix it again. He should get another surgeon to look at his x-rays. He should get all of his records from the other dr. and take that information to another surgeon.

Tammy
  • catriciafcatriciaf Posts: 1
    edited 10/07/2014 - 7:12 PM
    I was assaulted @ -work ...9 back surgeries..spinal stimulator......bone stimulators....hardware in hardware out.all this is temp.....bone grafts work for a few years but after 5 yrs...with wear & tear...bone plugged pop !!now after 9 back surgeries MY screws broke inside my bone grafts...after a very long surgery ...broken screws still stuck ,!!! @ my surgeon the head of neurosurgery in Lenox hill hospital in New York...the best at this has his hands tied...please be4 u have any type of surgery is not 100%...please try all options even that new laser back surgery...but please once they open u up you'll never be the same....GOD BLESS U ALLLLL
advertisement