Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2nd Laminectomy/Discectomy L5-S1

djordan391ddjordan391 Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Recovering from Surgery
So, I went ahead with my 2nd laninectomy/disectomy 4/24/12. I had my first one 12/9/11 l5s1 with root nerve issues on the left,this time I had the right side done. Boy is the pain worse! I have the worst siatic pain right side. Like my butt and calf are going to explode! I guess they took out a huge piece of herniated disk almost a inch! Half my foot and littel toes are numb and it goes to my ankle and the back of my calf. But the siatica!!!! omg!! This is bad! I remember that the first surgery wasnt this bad. I know it is still early but is this a sign that maybe this operation didnt work? I had almost no pain in the leg and butt after the first one. I wonder if having laninectomy on the right and left was a bad idea...no fusion..just holes in bone.

• i had 2 microdisectomies/ hemi-laminectomies done about 4 months apart. (june 2010 and october 2010)

i will tell you i didn't find the relief right after the 2nd surgery that i got after the 1st. there wasn't any major change in pain etc. what i will say, the 2nd micro-d. i had a herniation taken out that was 2.5 inches by 2.5 inches long. (my surgeon still talks about how big it was.) anyway, when i woke up, i realized my right leg was numb from my butt too my toes down the back. (now all my pain was always right sided) but i had never had this level of numbness before. i felt like i was hit with novocaine all the way down my leg. doc swore it was from poking at the nerve which was also severely inflamed and in bad shape. he scraped it to try to get as much scar tissue and herniation off of it as he could.

that being said, it took weeks, but slowly i started to get feeling back in the leg. it was months before i got the majority of it back, but it did come back. i still have a few spots that tend to have less sensation than the rest of the leg, but it did get better.

As far as pain, i've had sciatica on and off for over 2 years, and i did end up re-herniating the same disc, yet again, so no surprised about the pain levels.

you're so soon after the surgery though, it could just be irritation on the nerve from the actual surgery. are you taking any anti-inflamatories? talk to your doc about that or steroids and see if they help. I wouldn't get too worried just yet.

Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012
  • can i get some advised? i have herniated disc L3,L4,L5 seen on mri last may 2010.. i suffered too much pain and difficulty to walk so i was advised to undergo operation. last july 21,2010 i under go laminectomy and disectomy l5,s1.. after a month my right hip get bigger, swollen and there are times it hurts(until know)..

i always got muscle spasm at my back. but now i feel something swollen on my lower back and too much pain on right side and numbness on my right legs. its very difficult to move because of pain

is this a sign of another problem?