Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

not letting up

tkdanttkdan Posts: 62
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
The pain that is. I pestered the pain clinic all last week and all they told me was to up my gabapentin. All I know is I'm hurting on a whole new level. It is border-line ER pain. Not sure what they can do, but feel it is more than they are doing.

• I would call them again today and ask them what they want you to do. Let them know you are considering going to the ER at this point and time, which they may tell you to do so. The ER can give you a injection which might reset the pain to the normal level, and your current meds might help. The level of gabapentin you are on is a pretty low dose, so they have lots of room to work. It could also be that your current meds, your body has gotten used to and you need to make a change to something different. I assume your on a 30 day appointment cycle with them, how long do you have to go till your next appointment.
  • First..That's awful. I totally feel for you and went throught the same runaround with at least 10 different dr's always telling me that "narcotics" are addictive and that they didn't want to prescribe them to me. Even after they knew how bad my pain was.

The key for me was to bring a supportive person with me to the hospital er (my mother) and when I was finally seen by the er dr I told him the pain was so bad I was taking toxic amounts of t3 and extra strength tylenol and it was doing nothing to touch the pain.

That dr finally heard what we were saying and prescribed a painkiller that worked for me. Dilaudid(hydromorphone) Not sure what it's called in the states. I'm in Canada. It works for me. And I was in severe pain too.

I am really sorry you have to struggle to even get proper medication. That makes me sick. Try what I did, maybe that will help.

Like Tam Tam said too, your Gabapentin is quite low so if you're having nerve pain you could ask them to up that and see if that helps you.

I wish you the best.

Missy, 1 level ACDF C6/C7 Monday July 16th 2012.

• I have an appointment this Thursday with a neurosurgeon. My Dr just got the results of my MRI and said my disc is much, much worse now. I'm pretty sure I could have figured that out...maybe the constant pain would have been a sign...lol I do hope that the neuro dr has something positive to tell me. I have no problem have surgery if that is the recommendation. Funny there was a time when I would not even consider letting some one mess with my spine. Pain has a way of changing much about the way we think.

Thanks for the replies...
  • Yep. When pain is bad we ready to hit the people in front of us over the head to be 1 st in line for surgery,

Sadly some times we dont even think of the complication surgery might have on us while in so much pain,

After 16 years of back pain. Soon as discogram showed i had leaking disc and artificial disc replacement was offered to me to fix it, I was like where do i sighn up,

I will camp out at the hospital lawn if i have to just do it, Too bad it was a clinical trial and me like an idiot still went for it,

Always stick with the least invasive procedure, They can always go and do the biger surgery is the small procedure fails,

Because once the big surgery fails there aint no going back, Once it fails its for life and its not a prety picture,

Pain the last 8 years made me so ugly its like i was hit with the ugly stick while falling,

Best of luck, Always get more then 1 opinion and weigh your options after being informed from more then just 1 dr, The best dr will recomend the least invasive way to go usualy, thats if surgery is a must,

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Hello Everyone,
    I was here on this site 2 years ago, I am back looking for options. I have had this severe chronic neck, shoulder, and head pain since 2005. I have tried everything. I had a pain breakdown last year just about this time and I was in bed for 7 weeks, unable to get up. I want to die. I am now on muscle relaxers every 4 hours, and neurontin 600 mg every 6 hours. It only helps a little. I am still tring to work, as I need insurance. They tell me that I have weak muscles in the neck and shoulders, degenerative disc disease,stenosis,bulging discs, and calcium deposits. I am sick of going from Dr to Dr looking for a Dr that can really help. I guess I just needed to vent. I am so tired of this.
    Thank you all for listening.
    With Gentle Hugs,
  • I just wanted to chime in and say that I completely understand what you're going through. I had everything you have described and am still finding a way to live with it and still have a life. I'm not on any medication, but have not worked for a couple of years.

What are you diagnosed with? Spinal stenosis can be life altering. Hang in there!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • I guess I should say Monday night was bad which in turn made yesterday bad. Pain kept me up most of Monday night so Tuesday morning I was finally sleeping well when it was time to get up for work so I decided to stay in bed and get the sleep I needed. Best decision I've made in a while. So actually yesterday was pretty good. Back at work today, tomorrow I have my appointment with neuro dr.
    Alex thanks for the advice. Yes I do feel like the pain could cause me to make a rash decision about surgery. That is something I needed to keep in mind.

Kdennis, welcome back. Hope you can find a dr with a solution to your continuing pain issues.