Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PLEASE help understand my MRI results? Much appreciated

Hey everyone,

I was in a pretty serious car accident 2 years ago. 100% other person's fault. Then I was rear ended again twice (not as serious) over the last 2 years since then. I did tons of physio/massage/acupuncture to help with my jaw and back injuries I obtained. I have a TMJ condition and my jaw locks all the time. We thought my back pain was just a bad soft tissue damage. However, 2 years later and not better my lawyer and doctor thought I should get a MRI done. So 2 years after the initial injury causing car accident and 2 additional accidents later, this is my MRI...

I'm having trouble understanding and am too scared to wait until it is better explained to me. Sorry about the length but I'll try my best to keep it short :)
Any advice would be great, thanks so much for your time.

MR Thoracic Spine: Vertebral body demonstrates mild loss of anterior vertebral body height of approximately 25%. Thoracic cord is abnormal. Patient has dilatation of the central canal of the cord maximal from the T3/4 to T5/6 discs where it measures 4.5mm in diameter (instead of 2mm) This abnormality requires a neurology consult to determine if the patient has any symptoms of myelopathy.

Additionally imaging of the entire spine is recommended. The mild loss of anterior vertebral body height is abnormally pronounced and raises the possibility of a small compression fracture.

And about my TMJ it says...
Mild subluxation of the left TMJ disc in the mouth closed position with recapturing on mouth opening and mildly reduced anterior translation bilaterally. The posterior band of the left TMJ disc demonstrates slight swelling and abnormal signal intensity.

• Welcome to Spine Health. Sorry that your path of pain has lead you too this forum, but the good thing is now you know you are not alone in all of this.

Since the forum is made up of spine patients and their friends and family, interpretation of radiology studies is not something we can do. No one spine is the same and even similar MRI reports can have totally different symptoms and result in totally different treatments. The best thing to do is have your doc go over the films and report with you and ask as many questions as you can.

If you go into the main part of Spine Health you can search for articles on Myelopathy and that may give you a better idea of what the radiologist's concerns are.

We all understand being scared and not wanting to wait to find out results. Unfortunately one of the biggest lessons we wind up learning as spine patients, is patience. You've been dealing with this for 2 years now, so a few more days waiting to speak with your doc should be doable for you. Try not to diagnose yourself via the Internet. It's too easy to get yourself worried about something you don't fully understand.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. There are a lot of great people here with tons of experience who are more than happy to lend an ear.

• Oh, sorry about that! I thought I had seen similar posts in here, my bad :)
  • And thank you for the warm welcome!
  • Welcome to Spine Health. Many people want others to help understand their MRI. What I've found from my own MRIs is that even different Dr will look at the same film and come up with completely different results.
    What is best is to have your Dr look at the MRI and correlate what he sees with your symptoms and that way they can address what is actually happening to you.
    Best of luck and let us know what the Dr says.

One piece of advice, 3 accidents in 2 years somebody is trying to tell you something, Stop Driving.... =))
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched