Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello from the Big Island of Hawaii

Maryruth1035MMaryruth1035 Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in New Member Introductions
B) <:P
I was born with cancer in 1958- a neuroblastoma the size of half a grapefruit was removed from my belly when I was only 8 weeks old. Then they gave me radiation treatments, which was unfortunate it turns out, because irradiating that particular type of tumor apparently is what lead to the spinal tumor that was discovered on 1979.
I've had 2 surgeries to remove as much as possible of the ganglioneuromas from my lower spinal columns ( a ganglioneuroma is a slow growing bignign rumor) The tumor discovered in 2008 was a "giant" one: 12 long, 8 " wide and 3" thick. Wow, when the surgeon went in to remove it I only weighed 115 pounds--I've often wondered how much the Timor weighed!
Anyway, I was in Baltimore for overm2 months and at the age of 50 had to learn to walk again, and do it with assymmetric bilateral radiculopathy. My spine is fused from L4 down. I have incontinence issues when asleep
Let's see, what else am I supposed to say? I try to be in the pool--doing a water aerobics type work out taylored to my specific rehab needs-5-6 days a week. The pool is the only place where I tend to begin free--it is amazing. Free mobility and no pain. Well, maybe a little pain when I'm working hard,
I'm on the Butrans-20 micg patch q week, augmented with gabbapentine and 60 mg pf Cymbalta. I'm also taking 10Mg Methylphinidate (XR) q4am & noon to counter the drowsiness and drug induced 'narcolepsy
I love being in the pool, gardening when I can, painting pictures ( I am both a n artist and a psychologist as well as being a wife, Mom & SCUBA diving here in Hawaii.

• Maryruth:

My daughter lives in Hilo and she is a massuese,yoga and pilates instructor. If it was less than 7,000 miles from here to there I would let he work on me daily.

Send me a personal message.
  • Hi Maryruth :H ,

Welcome to Spine-Health! You have joined a wonderful website with great people on it. Also a great resource of information. The sad part is that joining means that you, too, are gripped by that monster we call pain. I admire your strength in the face of your adversities. I know that not all days are rosey and that's part of our mission here. We are here to support you in any way we can ... the good and the not-so-good times. Do not hesitate to ask questions. I am sure someone here will have an answer for you, or at least point you in a direction for one. Stay strong and please keep us udated on how you and your "pain game" are coming along.

Rassy's Story
    Under House Arrest Without the Ankle Bracelet :-)
    The remarks I make are strictly my own based on my personal experiences.
  • Hello. I am also from the Big Island of Hawaii. The Windward side. I stumbled upon this forum looking for PT excersises after having Anterior L5S1 disectomy with an alograph 15 months ago. I am still in a lot of discomfort. I moved here before I was able to go through PT. I am hoping to be able to help myself by reading the info on this site and getting suggestions from people dealing with spine issues. Thank you.

• Post edited by Tam, spam.
  • post edited by Tam, spam.