Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Possible re-herniation, steps to take

tarin520ttarin520 Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone,

It's been a bit since I've written and hope everyone is doing well and pain free. I had my microdiscectomy on 10/3/11 and other then the random sore back here and there, had been doing quite well. Last week (Tuesday), my daughter dropped something in the back of the car. I pulled over and reached back (the toy was behind my seat). I sort of lifted my butt up and twisted and stretched. Although nothing hurt initially, I knew that something was off. Since then I have had bilateral leg pain and soreness in my lower back. I spoke to one of the doctor's assistants on Friday who stated I either re-herniated/new herniation, or that I aggravated the scar tissue and nerve root and to give it a week. I am writing to see if anyone had any similar situations and outcomes. If it is just an aggravation, how long did it take for it to subside, and if it was a reherniation, did you need to have surgery again, or did it heal on it's own? Being home with a three year old, I'm already worrying about another surgery and want to make sure I am doing all that I can. I do plan on calling the surgeon again if this is still going on come Friday, but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this. Thanks to all!

• in 1994 and had a great outcome. In the last 16 years I have had lots of scares like that such as picking something up the wrong way, taking dance class with heels that were too high, or sitting too long (i.e. hours on end when on vacation). All of these and many more led to similar pain as before surgery plus new bilateral pain in legs.
    I always did emergency position, lying on floor with legs (below knees) resting on bed. Several hours of that then McKenzie exercises lying on stomach. Plus heating pad and stretching.
    It always worked. The fear started to recede and I started to think..."I have been like this before and this too shall pass".
    Hope your pain soon goes away and you feel better.
  • Thanks so much for the reassurance. It's a week and a half later and I'm still having some pain, although I am now on an oral steroid. It's weird - the leg pain is gone but now I'm getting a dull ache in the lower lumbar region. I had my last round of PT last night (not by choice - insurance only allows 30 PT visits), and the PT thinks I just aggravated the nerve root, but lord knows. I have an appointment next week with my surgeon just in case. Thanks again!
  • and returns to your back that is usually a good sign. Good idea to talk to doc about it. It is more challenging when you have a little one at home...Have a good w/e and hope you continue to do OK.