Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Treatment for scoliosis

kedarkkedar Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Scoliosis
Dear sir/ Mam,

one of my closest freind is having scoliosis from birth itself, it was detected when she was 16 years old .
She suffers through a back pain whenever she sits for a longer period at same place or so.
The X-ray report show a scoliosis of 30 degree curve.
what would you suggest for the treatment??

will inversion Table help her in improving the posture of the spine ?

Please reply,
Thanks & Regards,
Kedar Malji.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Although I do not have personal familiarity with scoliosis,I saw your post and wanted to welcome you!

There is much info on this site and hopefully you will find something helpful for you and your friend.
    Sometimes if you use the "search" on this site, it may bring up relavant info for you from previous posts.

Someone else may come along and have a shared sitution, but in the meantime, feel free to look around and you may be surprised at finding something useful to you.

You seem like a thoughtful friend, so good luck as you navigate the "info of the spine" and hopefully your friend will benefit.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Firstly, are you sure that the scoliosis was present from birth? There is a type of scoliosis, called infantile, that is present from birth.

Secondly, there are many strategies to help your friend. The choice of action depends on her goals for care... does she simply want to have pain relief? does she want to ensure that the curve will not increase in size as she ages? does she want to reduce the size of the scoliosis as much as possible?

The problem with an inversion table is the same problem with all strategies that will unlock the scoliosis... the muscle tension that she feels may be an attempt by the body to prevent the curve from worsening... unlock that natural guarding and the curve can become worse... unless the unlocking is combined with an effective means to reduce the size of the scoliosis.

Hope this helps,

Dr. S
  • I recommend that you and your friend to have regular swimming sessions because it is one of the non-invasive ways to correct scoliosis. She can also try physical therapy and she can use abdominal binders to correct her posture.
  • A friend of mine also had scoliosis during her childhood. The main goal of her treatment is to prevent the increase in the curve's degree. She has undergoes regularly physical therapy sessions as well as swimming lessons. She also regularly use her braces.
  • Doesn’t it have any alternative aside from surgery or putting a brace? My friends’ 5 year old daughter has scoliosis and we can’t bear to see her wear braces.
  • I'm not a doctor or nurse so don't take anything I say too seriously :)

Kedar- How old is your friend? If she has stopped growing, the curve should stop progressing. The curve should probably be monitored to make sure it doesn't progress. If it does, I would guess surgery would be suggested. However, surgery is typically not suggested for curves lower than 40 degrees. However, pain is also an issue. I have a 19 degree curve that causes me significant pain and I am thinking about getting surgery. I have doing physical therapy, bracing, massage, medication, etc.

Anikaj- I can only speak from my own experience, but I was never braced as a child and my curve causes me great pain. I am 22 years old now. I wish my parents and doctor had given me a brace to wear in adolescence. I know it must be extremely hard to watch your friends' child wear a brace. She will complain and hate it, but trust me. It is so much better than the pain she might experience without it. She will thank her parents one day.
This discussion has been closed.