Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Pills :( ?!?!?

JessiSellJJessiSell Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I posted previously about my current ACDF surgery and how scared I was to undergo it, blah blah blah... Well, I had my surgery last Thursday (4/26/12). I am happy to pronounce the surgery was a success and I survived! :) I was so very frightened.

My new question is about pain pills/addition etc. I know I am only like 6 days out of surgery and taking pain pills at this point is obviously necessary, but I have been taking pain pills for 4 months now. Here's why!

On January 1st 2012 I was involved in a rollover accident. Luckily I lived and was not paralyzed etc. Thank God everyday! I was however injured in my neck- hence the ACDF surgery.

Initially I was not sure I would need the surgery, yet I was in pain so it was concerning to both my Neurologist and myself. He prescribed me Hydrocodone 7.5/500 right out of the hospital. I started taking them as prescribed. I know whatcha y'all are thinking...did I abuse them-the answer is NO. However, when does abuse start? I feel like, at this point if I do stop taking them, I will feel like S***.

I don't really think I ever get a "buzz" from them but I sure do know they help with pain. For some 4 months is a heck of a long time to be taking pain pills, and for others it is a short period.

My main question after that long babble of a story/thoughts is what can I do to eventually tapper off? Doing this (hopefully soon) of course pending the pain level I feel after a couple weeks have passed. Can I do a cleanse? What have any of you done? I really don't want to get extremely addicted- though I know at this point I am at some level of addiction already.

I'm annoyed and just need some advise from others that are not addicts/or have an extreme addiction,yet people that have only taken them for pain. For other places I have searched for answers are for people who take like 15 pills at a time!

Thanks fellow pain members! :)

• You're not addicted. Dependent, yes but not addicted. When its time to taper off you'll have no problems. You should discuss this with your doctor so the two of you can devise a plan of attack. Glad you're feeling better.

• I do not feel I am addicted to my pain pills. I have been on vicodin and tramadol for about a year. I try to wait as long as I can but, sometimes that makes it worse to get the pain under control. My doctor has never had a problem filling my prescriptions when I request them. I feel the pain pills and muscle relaxers are there for a reason. I use them when I need them and do not feel bad about it.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    are necessary when you are in real pain. Your doctor will know when that is and act accordingly.

When it comes time to start to decrease and eventually eliminate pain medications, your doctor will have a plan that you and your doctor need to come to terms with and execute.

As long as you are in real pain, the need for some form of pain relief is required.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com