Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

c6 vertebrectomy due in two weeks... scared or what!

welshladywwelshlady Posts: 121
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi i am 56 yr old female, due to have a c6 vertebrectomy soon and am really scared, also have diabetes and high blood pressure which dont help the fear factor. any tips or hints on how to get through this would be appreciated. am sure there must be loads of you that have had this and bigger ops so hoping youll be able to help me? thank you
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to Spine Health, I know that you will get the support you need here.

Are you having a cage or fusion? Do you know if the surgeon is operating from the front or back of your neck?

Those things will all have an impact on your recovery as well as your diabetes and blood pressure. Just know that you will take longer to heal and be ready for that. What is good to keep in mind is that the neck issues caused by that vertebrae will hopefully be fully resolved.

It can take several months for nerves to fully recover sometimes, depending on the severity of their impingement. Is nerve pain also a problem for you?

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for an uneventful surgery and a smooth recovery. Keep us posted as you can.

Dee
  • thank you Dee for your support. it really is appreciated. i am having a cage with synthetic bone graft and then as far as i understand it is attached to c5 and c7 so will be left with some stiffness (already have a congenital fusion of c3/c4. anterial approach. it was pointed out that there was no spinal fluid around a section of my chord and lots of impingement.

this started with pain in right arm and right shoulder 5 years ago. had manipulation and the year before last had shoulder scraped and cleaned up, but still loads of pain and then the pins and needles started. had mri last october. now have pain in both arms, right hand goes into spasms, both legs feel heavy and painful and walking is not good, must look as if i have had "accident"! but worse pain is in back of head where it feels as if i have been hit by a heavy plank of wood. so bad that at times i cant think. i dont really have any idea what to expect for recovery. will i be up and walking straight away so you think? will i be able to ever drive again? will i be able to nurse my grand children? are there some real does and donts that i should know?

thank you again for your support and your prayers xx