Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Getting Depressed so much pain

martyjommartyjo Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I'm 3 years status post L3-S1 fusion for spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease and herniated discs. I was in so much pain and had numbness down the right leg that is permanent now. Recently, one month ago, I fell down a slight hill. I don't even know the mechanics of how I fell. All I know is 2 days later I could not walk. Horrific pain in left lower back, hip and leg. I went to my orthopedic doctor, got a exam, x-rays, MRI. I now have a large herniated disc at L2-3 which is just above where I am fused. I also have spinal stenosis at that level but it's the herniated disc that is causing me the problem. So, I go and get a epidural injection. That was 3 weeks ago. Not much help there. My Ortho doc wants me to have another back surgery. This time same thing as before but at L2-3. So I have a 4 level fusion in my back. I can't get hardly any pain relief. I tried many new medications. Hydrocodone - made me very ill. Tramadol - nothing. no help there. Now I'm on Vicodin 7.5. That helps but it's not doing much to help me daily to do anything. My legs both hurt. I have pain in the lower back. Spasms. I'm getting depressed now. The previous back surgery sucked major and I am not looking to have more surgery but I don't see any options. I don't know how long I will be out of commission with having this one level done. I know he's taking bone from my hip again. That hurt alot but he does not believe in any other bone grafting than using your own. I'm scared too. I have no one to talk to. I'm in pain but nothing I can do except for lay down on my good right side because I can't on my left. Hurts too much. I see my Ortho in a week. If I knew that the down time would be less than the year I had with the prior surgery I think I could handle that. But, again. I don't know anyone who's had this 3 level fusion and then another level which has a herniated disc as well as the vertebra have shifted either backwards or forward. Can't tell on the MRI. But, it moves. Plus, to top things off, the lower portion of my back is curving to the right. Now I have slight scoliosis. I'm just depressed over all of this.

• Hi Marty :wave:

I am so sorry you are going through all of this :(

I can't be of any help to you (my apologies) but I still wanted to post to let you know I care.

PS: Please try to break your posts into a few paragraphs, my tired eyes have a hard time focusing other wise ;)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Hi there. So sorry for what you are dealing with. I would suggest you get at least one more opinion, maybe from a neurosurgeon. Not saying the recommendation will be different but perhaps it will shed some light on some interim help or just be a new set of ears.

I have not had a fusion but there are others here who will be able to relate from that perspective.

I just wanted to post because my 2 micro discectomies and pain created some depression so I wanted to say with all you have going on, it is normal. One thing, though, you may want to tell your doctor about this b/c it is something to monitor.
  • I can sure sympathize with your depression ! I am 37 and 3 years aga was diagnosed with degenerative disc and joint disease, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, spondylosis and arthritis. I have always been physically very active. I love to work in the yard,plant a garden, ride horses and 4 wheelers. I used to run my own lawn care service which few women do. I have had 1 back surgery and my back is a lot worse. I can barely walk now across my yard without crying in pain. I wake up a lot if days hurting so bad that I don't even want to get up. I have17 bad disc in my neck thoracic and lower back. The doctors say I am way to young for my back to be in such bad shape. My daughter has an 11 month old baby I have kept from birth while she works. If it weren't for my granddaughter I think I would just stay in bed. She is the reason I have to keep going . Most days I can hardly lift her but you do what you have to do. She is my life. I thank God for her and he knew I needed some motivation.i used to could clean my house from top to bottom in about 2 hours and if now takes about 3 days. I can't go to any outings because I can't walk much without my hips killing me . If I push to hard to do anything for a few minutes I pay dearly for days. It's just very depressing knowing I can hardly do anything I enjoy anymore. They say I need several surgeries but unless I'm snout to die I don't think I will have them. That's why they call it a medical practice because that's what they're doing I'd practicing . I have physicians that I am good friends with and they tell me nobody really knows how to fix a back. I know some people have good luck but most I have talked to say they are worse after surgery and I don't think I want to chance it again . They say shots for pain are temporary and pain medicines don't help me they only make me nauseated and sleepy. I've heard people say that they have stem cell technology in Europe that rebuilds and regrows the bone structure. I wish they had that here. If they did it would be so expensive that nobody could afford it probably. I hope they come up with something that is sure and lasting for spine problems!!!! I just wish I could have 1 pain free day! I forget what it feels like to wake up and say just once " I feel good today".
  • Hi I too have had exstensive surgery/fusions so much so that scar tissue from all that surgery is lodged permantly on my sciatic nerve. I am in constant pain and have severe mobility issues and wish I had never gone down the surgery road but sometimes it can't be avoided. Surgery can work, I speak to people who have had fusions and they are cured but it does'nt work for everybody so good luck x
  • Martyjo, I had four levels fused from L2-S1 and then had both si joints fused. this all started about 2 and a half years ago. I have been in constant pain and have been very depressed. I lay down too much, sleep to much, no ambition to get up and do the things I used to enjoy. The pain meds help, but I'm sick and tired of being on them. I can relate to how you feel 100 percent. Feel fress to pm me anytime and maybe we together can get out of this state and start enjoying life like we should. We only have one chance at life and I'm not planning on wasting it by being depressed every day. God Bless and hope to hear from you, Kevin
  • I have recently had a L4-5 fusion with a replacement disc as well and I am in so much pain I am beside myself . being in pain all the time can take it's toll on not only your body but your mind. I wish i could do something to take your pain away. But I can only be here to let you know you are not alone. Big hugs to you!