Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

dmac122ddmac122 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 43 years old and have had 8 surgeries (4lumbar, 4 cervical) in the past 6 years. My 1st neurosurgeon (performed 4 of the surgeries) gave up and declared "failed back syndrome". I went to another spine surgeon stated that I needed another 2 level fusion, making that 4 levels starting at s1. I have gone through the injection 3 times over and PT so much that I could probably open my own practice. I have had 4 cervical fusions (3 performed by a different neurosurgeon). He did a 4 level through the front and 5 levels through the back.

None of the surgeries have helped. The spine surgeon says to eat more protein, then 2 months later he says to take more vitamin d and a multi vitamin. My fusion is not taking. I am on injections again, still no relief. What other options are out there because I am flat out wore out. I can't sit for more than 15 minutes at a time, I can't stand for more than 5 minutes at a time, I can't bend, drive or ride more than 10 minutes before having to shift from position to position. I weigh 120 and am 5'4" so I know it isn't weight related. I have been forced to go on disability by my employer. I can't do any activities without it putting me out of commission for 3 to 4 days before moving again. If anyone has any suggestions, please provide. The depression is pushing me to my limits.

Thank you,

• First let me say welcome to Spine-health. Have a look around and you will find many with multiple level surgeries and fusions and deemed failed back surgery syndrome. As far as your surgeon telling you to take more vitamin D is he checking your levels so your taking the appropriate amount. Vitamin D is a very helpful vitamin, as it is one my surgeon checks regularly for me, and gives the dosing amount.

As far as what other options do you have, have you been in pain management? Have they looked at a SCS or pain pump if medications are not helping? You might also want to seek out some counseling, as many do when entering into being a chronic pain patient. It takes sometime to get used to the life style of being in pain and what you can and can't do?

I notice you say your still not fusing? Are you using a bone growth stimulator? How long ago was your last surgery? Recovering from the posterior surgery does take sometime, and is a much rougher go than the anterior. I personally find the muscles spasms to be one of the worst issues. Are you taking a good muscle relaxer? Keep in mind that multi-level fusions take longer to fuse? Hopefully they used your bone? Do you have a ten's unit, that is something I use daily. Depending how far out you are from surgery, you might find some massage therapy useful.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. But one thing you will find is that we all do understand. You might find the chat room useful, just to talk to others going through the same issues. Hopefully you find some relief though.