Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hello and please help

call me Philccall me Phil Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello to all! My name is Phil, here's a brief account of my story. I'm 35 and was involved in a motor vehicle accident in January of 2011, I was hit from behind while driving at 30 mph in my service vehicle (a business class freight liner), by a ford explorer. The ford was totaled and my truck received little damage. I ended up at my primary doctor 4 days later and was tools to not work for a couple of days. When that didn't work I was sent to physical therapy for 6 Weeks. That failed and I was still having numbness in my right leg and couldn't sit down with my feet up without my leg getting very sore. I was sent to a pain doctor and received a shot in my back in may of 2011 which worked until late June when I received another shot which did nothing to help the numbness. I was sent to a surgeon and it was decided after my second MRI to have a disectomy laminectomy on my l5-s1. Six Weeks after my surgery I ended up in the emergency room due to horrible pain that felt like being stabbed from the right side of my groin area to my foot. I couldn't stand up, sit up or bend without extreme pain. Was admitted and received a nerve root block which solved the pain but left me with no feeling in my inner right buttocks area and the right side of my penis. I had a fourth MRI and I had an emg which both showed nothing. I have pain to my right calf and no feeling still in my buttocks our groin. Please help!

• No feeling in the right side of the penis? There is a level in the spine which can affect the sex organs which would of course affect the total penis,

So not sure how its posible for it to affect only one side, I dont think thats posible,

If the dr,s cant find anything wrong i am not sure how we can help,

You need to talk to your dr,s and get a few opinions to figure out what is the cause of your symptoms,

There is a map of the spine nerves that shows what is affected by those nerves and at what level, Think its called duramap you can look at that might help you get an idea what to discuss with your dr,

Best of luck and keep us informed what you find out, ps; In the meantime dont touch the penis or you can go blind! Or is that just a myth i cant remember!
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Thank you Alex, that was the first time I laughed all day! I was really hoping to have an answer today as to why i'm still in pain and I only got the answer you should get better. My surgeon says it could possibly be scar tissue but wanted to rule out everything else.
  • Hello Phil ! I'm new to this site and trying to find my way around ! As you can see by my name I'm a female so I can be of no help in the penis area lol ! I'm 37 years young- not old but I have severe degenerative disc disease. I have bad disc in the cervical, thoracic and lumbar areas of the spine. I had surgery in 2009 on my L5-S1. My back got severely worse after that. I can't say if it was due to surgery or just the ddd. I can tell you this though, as a female after having this surgery and this area of the spine messed up I don't know if I have numbness in my sexual organs or not but I can't feel in that area as well as I did in the past and I have a very decreased sex drive. Maybe it's because of the daily pain or because I don't sleep well and always feel tired. I really don't know what it is but I can surely sympathize with what your going through ! I hope everything goes well for you!
  • Phil,

The map Alex is referring to is the dermatone map. If I was in your situation, I would go get a second opinion. Did they do the MRI with or without dye? If it was done without dye then I would think if they didn't see it, and the issues keep existing they would try other imaging such as CT/myelogram. One thing is there really is no good way to see scar tissue. Another thing are you having any issues urinating? Like maybe going to often, or not able to relieve yourself entirely? If so go see a urologist. If all else fails check into being seen by a neurologist. Your primary care physician should be able to put you in contact with one. You would want to be sure it is not one that works with your surgeon, as I think you need a completely independent opinion. Good luck and keep us posted on how you get along. By the way welcome to spine-health. You might find some old threads with something similar and see how that member got along.