Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new member - surgery

debmal1971ddebmal1971 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello, I am new to this forum.
I am hoping to find people who have had spinal surgery. I would like to know if it helped and how you are doing?
I have a large cyst on my L4 L5-it measures 22x18x38 mm - I have been told I was born with it, but it was only found about 5 weeks ago through an MRI. My family doctor immediately said I need surgery to have it removed, he sent me to a neurosurgeon (who seems very reluctant to do surgery).
I am in severe pain and have been off work for 5 weeks. (My job requires me to be on my feet (walking/standing) for 7 1/2 hours a day-5 days a week. This extremely aggrevates my symptoms to the point of inability to walk or move without extreme pain and discomfort on my lower back, buttocks, left hip, leg and calf down to my toes. After being on many different perscriptions for the pain-I find that only Oxycodone give me some sort of relief (although, I hate taking them as I know how addictive they can be).
I am seriously contemplating surgery as I feel it will give me back my quality of Life and would like to know of others who have had the surgery (of this nature). Did the cyst grow back, were there any complications...
Any Info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You for your time.

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry i am not famaliar with your problems but i did want to say hello! i am sure some other spineys will be by with some answers.. please have a good look around the forums and make yourself at home! do lots of reading!! check out the "Back and Neck surgery forum for more input on your surgery questions! stop by anytime! i hope you are able to come to a good conclusion soon. Jenny :)
  • Thank You Jenny! As I am still trying to figure this forum out and navigate my way through this...I hope you receive my Thank You!!??