Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

herniated discs

cairnmamaccairnmama Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was diagnosed with having 2 herniated discs and severe spinal stenosis. I was having such severe pain it made me cry! My pain management doctor was quite honest and said surgery PROBABLY was the only way to get relief.But he did give me pain meds Oxycodone and started me on Gabapentin for this horrible nerve pain. Since having these two meds I seem to be doing better.The pain has lessened to something I can handle on most days....but not the way I want to live my life. I have had PT,done 2 injections which didn't work.
I have 2 questions: Do herniated discs come and go pain wise? And I did see a surgeon who said I needed to have a lamenectomy but of course because I am handling the pain now from my meds I am hesitating to have this surgery done...any suggestions?
advertisement

Comments

• cairnmama said:
    Do herniated discs come and go pain wise? And I did see a surgeon who said I needed to have a lamenectomy but of course because I am handling the pain now from my meds I am hesitating to have this surgery done...any suggestions?
    They can.
    Lots of times the nucleus material that is extruded out of the disc and contacts the nerve retracts away just enough for relief. Then, when the person lifts something heavy or puts too much pressure on the disc, the nucleus material pushes back out again and touches the nerve.

Can you consult with a few more lumbar spine surgeons? Try to get in with a few more and see what they say. You'd be surprised at the variety of approaches they will suggest.

One already has told you "laminectomy".
    Others might say "microdiscectomy" or "fusion" or "traction" or something else.
    -----------------------------
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008