Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what is your most effective tool to relieve pain? non-drug.

brianferrybbrianferry Posts: 77
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Chronic Pain
For me it is my wooden ball, actually it is a wooden ball the size of a golf ball that has four wooden legs to the sides below it....

at the ned of those small legs there are four smaller wood balls attached, it is a massage device someone in my house picked up at a oriemtal store,

I have grade 2 spondylothesis with my main area of pain being in the left hip,

at first i thought it was piriformis syndrome, but two doctors have been inclined to go for the spondy,

as the root cause,

I would tend to agree yet 5 years ago I used a decompression technique using my car seatbelt as a holder for my hip,

I would pull myself from the other side of the cardoor to decompress my lumbar spine,

one day out of desperation (pain) I pulled a bit too hard, and i felt something rip,

it didn÷t hurt at the moment but the problems would come back as time went by,

so by my own conclusions I feel there is more to my pain than just spondy,

cuase my lower back feels fine ( I sue an inversion table) which relieves any problems there,

my main area of pain is the piriformis area,

it starts there and depending on the circumstances will travel down to the thigh or leg,

my wooden device has kept the pain manageble,

what I do is lie on my bed and but it under my piriformis to really work the area,

it hurts a bit...but it is the good pain...the one you know will bring bliss once you are done massaging the area...

I alos do strecthing exercises to flush otu toxins in the area and bring in oxygen....

but basically the wooden device is the one that calms things down when they get out of hand....

things are worse in the morning so i always keep it next to my bed....

If i feel my piriformis acting up....i send in mr. wood to the rescue....

so far I have kept the pain meds at bay....

Live to Pray

• have helped me relieve neuro-muscular pain (nerve and ligaments and overall helps with facet nerve pain in neck)

That is: ultra-sound, tens, heat wrap, myofacial massage

Lumbar the above does not help overall with pain and my progressive disc bulges on 3-levels, so a god-send for remediation of pain is: radio-frequency ablation injections

I usually remain free of pain if I don't have trauma, a mva, overdoing it lifting things over 10 lbs. (which I no longer do because of c-spine DDD taking out arms/hands)

This discussion has been closed.