Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Glad I'm not crazy

JDBailey5.56JJDBailey5.56 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello I'm 36, US Army Artillery Veteran of 6.5 years, and a plumber for another six, so you might say I was a tad rough on my body.
Most of my problems are at c-6/7, severe bilateral foraminal stenosis, "mild" flattening of the spinal cord with stenosis,and degenerative disk disease with central extrusion. Mild bilateral forminal stenosis c-3/4 with cord flattening and a central disk bulge.They haven't done an MRI on my lower back mostly because I've focused on the neck problems.
Symptoms range from weakness on my left side, constant electric tingling down my left arm which increases to a burning 220 volt type pain, massive muscle spasms in my neck and upper back, loss of dexterity in my hands, headaches, tingling and numbness in the left thorassic region of my back, groin pain, numbness in my left foot, constant nausea, dizziness. I can't tie my shoes or play legos with the kids without pain,so plumbing's out.
The VA says it may take a year to see a neurologist, so they gave me gabapentin,which keeps it down to a buzz most days, but does nothing for breakthrough pain which is frequent.
At least I know I'm not imagining any of these symptoms. Does anybody know about the procedures for disability or if its worth it since hopefully I'll get surgery within a year.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    If not I would be dead
    Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I would demand to get seen by a neuro or ortho spine surgen and not wait a year,
    Thats crazy having to wait if you could be geting nerve damage as far as they know that will never heal,

I would launch some fire power to get there ass in to gear and get treated now as you deserve it same as anyone else and even more so for serving your country,

Put some fire under the VA dr,s ass and administration,
    Friend of mine worked at VA here in chicago for years and i heard a lot of stories,
    There is no excuse not to have a full body mri by now to see what can be done and know all your options,

Best of luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Representative. Let them know the circumstances you are living under and that the VA is not helping by making you wait over a year for a nuerologist. Believe you need to see a sugeon not a nuerologist.
    Are you being placed on a waiting list due to your injuries not being service connected?
    Did the VA screen your service medical record for disability when you were separated? That might help move you up on the priority list.
    If there isn't anything to connect your injuries to your service you may have a tough time getting a VA disability. The lawyers you see on TV get a percent and can take a couple of years to get a case resolved, and you will need reports from a nuerosurgeon to have your case adjudicated.
    Best of luck to you, let us know how things go.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • edited by tam as spam
  • edited by tam as spam