Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hand trembling

karenkkkarenk Posts: 66
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
4 weeks out of ACDF today....past few days have noticed some slight hand trembling if I am trying to do something? Anyone else experience this?
ACDF C4-5/5-6 - 04-09-2012

• It's happened to me a few times. I'm three months post op. funny thing is it only happens when my hands are going in an upward motion to do something. Doesn't happen very often, only my left side, that is also where I had the most trouble with pain, and numbness. Really hadn't been concerned about it. Thought it was just the healing process. My arm had gotten a lot smaller before my surgery, that was scary for me and one of the reasons I didn't wait any longer to have surgery.
  • Thanks for your response....I was beginning to think I was the only one...lol
    Yeah, with me it only happens when I'm trying to do something using fine motor skills....
    How many and what levels did you have done? Maybe it is just the healing process....
  • Sorry don't log on too much. Had three levels done on feb 2nd. Have the peek implants with the brace in the front. Really doing very well. Get tired a lot quicker than I use to but I'm back at work and doing the things I like on weekends!
  • :SS I have had very bad hand tremors in left hand since my 1st spine operation in 2008 which was a PLIF + rebuild. My Spinal Surgeon was so worried that he referred me to a Neurologist who thought I might have the onset of Parkinsons. However after a Brain Scan and numerous other tests he decided that I had some of the traits but did not have Parkinsons. Apparently it is damaged nerves in the spine that causes the tremors which are getting worse. Since 2010 I have had 3 Cervical Spine operations, 1 being ACDF of 2/3/4 and 2 being Posterior Fusion of 4/5/6 and plates to facet joints. These have caused a tremor now in my right hand which the Surgeon tells me may go away if the correct nerves heal eventually. Hope this helps you. I live in the UK. Kind regards.
  • yes iv also got a very bad tremble in my right hand its very embarrising sometimes especially when your out its not all the time but getting more freqent i see my surgeon in a week im 3 years post op for acdf/plif and 18 months post op for alif all with hardware and plates i thought i had some terrible disease but i now its down to the op ill let you now if doc tells me any different in meentime i just keep my hand in my pocket if it starts coz i cant hold a cuppa tea .also in uk.pat
  • Hi Karen,

Just wondering how your recovery is coming along, and hoping that no news is good news.

Keeping you in my thoughts,

• Your so sweet - thanks for thinking of me! :)

Tuesday is my 6 week check up. I still have some shoulder issues....I will check with him on this when I go. I am planning to return to work this week after my check up. Am a little apprehensive about that. Looking forward to it on one hand, but a little nervous on the other....I have been doing my walking each day, following instructions regarding no lifting, pushing, pulling, etc....

If my shoulders felt fine I would say this was a complete success. I hope each day it will get a little better and that it maybe takes a few months? ....I just want to feel normal again! Am still wearing my collar - he said 3 months for that, but I'm almost half way there!

Thanks again, Dee

• I have been thinking about you also, you have been so quiet. I am sure your shoulder will get better with time. Please keep us updated.

ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • I am happy you are doing better. Once the collar is off you may get more relief, or it just may be that the nerves are still healing. It really can take 6 months to a year for some nerves to recover.

The walking feels great I thought. I was so happy to be able to be outside.

Glad you're taking it easy, it's hard to do, and seems like we should be able to do just a few things....I always ended paying for that and had to learn the hard way! lol

6 weeks and moving forward on your journey :D

Have a great weekend,

• I get hand trembling also. I'm not sure what is causing it, my pt has been scratching her head for months about it. The severity of it comes and goes, but it seems like it gets worse with increased pain levels. Not long ago I was at a friends house and I was carrying a coffee for me and one for my wife when all the sudden my hands started to shake and as I tried to control it more it got worse, lol, by the time I got the cups down I had spilled probably half the coffee on their carpet.

The weird thing about it is I havent had surgery yet and my issue is lumbar, so I think all my nerves in my neck are fine. I wonder if its due to being in pain for so long that has caused my nervous system to go a bit haywire? I am meeting with a physiatrist here soon and I will see if he can figure it out.....Mitch