Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ten days post l5s1 discectomy and still. in pain. doc said i should be fine wirh tylenol in preop in

Mimi99MMimi99 Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I am ten days post op and still in pain. Percocet two every. 4 hours and oxycontin 20mg every 12 hours. Just ran out of oxycontin and runnung low on percocet. I am afraid to call doc for refill because I don't want him to think I am abusing but on the other Hand I am suffering here. I have been seeing this office for a few years and was on vicodin. I doubt that will help at this point and besides I am out.
Should I just call and adl for refill on pain meds or just percocet and tell them I am out of oxycontin and percocet are barely touching pain alone. Wish I was not so insecure.

• pain killers post op so DONT WORRY .you only a few day out of a painful surgery .i am still in pain 4 months post fusion [ALIF] and still need more pain killer now than i did before the operation .so contact you doctor and maybe you need to change your medication ?? hope you get well soon {but be prepared for a long recovery]
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • My step-brother who is a doctor said that as long as you are in pain, that you won't get addicted to the meds. My doctor gave me Oxycodone (1-2 every 6 hours) and Valium (1-2 every 6 hours). The valium is for muscle spasms. I've weaned off the valium and only take it at night because they make me so sleepy. When the Oxycodone begins to wear off, I am in pain!
    I am at 15 days post surgery. I think I sat up for too long on day 6 and a couple of days later I couldn't even stand on my left foot. I called the "on-call" doctor on day 9 and he told me not to be so heroic with the meds. At that point I thought I should be weaning off the Oxycodone, too and was spreading out my doses. He told me to take the meds on schedule and add advil since it had been enough days not to worry any more about bleeding. He said that the meds are to keep you from hurting, because if you hurt too much your body responds by tensing and you get muscle spasms and inflamation which can impede healing.

I had the same surgery as you Mimi09 L5-S1 discectomy with laminectomy. How long did your doctor say you should wait to return to work? My doctor said 2-3 weeks. The doctor on call said 6 weeks. My employer says until I have no limitations.
  • Hi mleigh
    I was told originally I'd be out 2-4 weeks. Well it is four weeks today and I am not ready. Still in pain. Three days ago I oils wake in the morning shaking in pain. I thought I was thought l was going through withdrawal. After the second morning of this excruciating pain I called nc office. She said I should not be lifting any weight in physical therapy and that surgery was for leg pain not back pain. She said to try a medrol dose pack and call her mid next week. This has helped 50%. She said nerve was prob inflamed but may do emg to confirm. My feel better so I do more then it sets me back. I have cried a few times over this. I am not someone to sit around. I am always moving. This recovery is hard for me to do. I appreciate the support I get on this forum :)