Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Are my legs starting to paralyse ?

mstikesmmstikes Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
i'm now 5 weeks post discectomy on L4/L5 and both of my legs are extremely weak. My right leg has continued to weaken and is now as weak as my left one. I'm barely able to walk even with a cane. Dorsiflexion is now impossible on both feet. I was wondering if it can be considered like partial paralysis ?

I dont have loss of sensory feeling. I haven't been able to find much information about this kind of leg paralysis or extreme weakness from lumbar herniation.

• Wow sounds like some sort of neurological impairment. I wouldn't wait too long.

Have you noticed if your legs are getting smaller? Example: my right calf shrank during the 8 months I spent looking for a surgeon.

Have you had a recent MRI? What about one of those EMG tests?
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Well my right cafe is smaller then my right by a inch or two. I can't stand more then 6 min in one spot or it goes numb. It's from a pinch nurv..... If I was you go see a doc on that.
  • Call your surgeon office and tell them what is going on.
  • I saw my surgeon last week and he gave me an appointment for an EMG in 2 weeks. I have atrophy in my left leg and my calf feels like jelly. This had started before surgery but has continued afterwards and I'm starting to have the same problems in my right leg although it's still bigger in size than my left one.

I don't have numbness or a tingling sensation. It's just that my legs are so weak that I can't do basic movement like kicking my calf foward or foot dorsiflexion. I haven't found alot of threads of people experiencing such severe weakness after a discectomy to relieve a large L4 herniation.
  • Hello,I have been having same problems from my knees to my ankles cant stant too long walk is limited,emg said nerve ending damage,just really weak and tight feeling, i had l-4-5 failed fusion in 93,failed scs,failed injections.Dr are not sure whats wrong. Rick ncpa
  • My brother is in the same situation as you. He was operated in March and a few weeks after the operation his leg started shaking. Before his surgery for his herniated disc his legs were getting weaker and are now continuing to get weaker. His doctors are running some tests and I will let you know what they tell him. Let me know if you get more information from your doctors.

Hope you get Better
  • Do you know which disc your brother was operated on ? Mine was L4-L5.
    I had an EMG to test my leg nerves last week and I’m waiting for the report. I can’t stretch my legs foward at all and have to walk with a cane. My calf muscles feel like jelly.
    I had severe left leg pain for several months prior to the operation and my legs started to weaken about 2 months before. What about your brother ?
    Feel free to tell him to contact me if you want more info.
  • His operation was also on L4-L5. He also had a lot of pain for a few months before the surgery and started loosing strength on the left leg mostly about 1 month prior the surgery. Since the operation, the pain is gone, but his legs continue to be weak and he needs a cane to walk. In addition his leg starts shacking if he walks for a few minutes; this started 2-3 weeks after the surgery.

His situation seems very similar to yours. He is also still awaiting results of his EMG from the doctor.

Hopefully this is only temporary for you and him.