Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie with upcoming EMG test. I am terrified and not sure what to expect?

TxtraceyTTxtracey Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in New Member Introductions
I was recently involved in an auto accident that resulted in a herniated disc in my L 5 about 3-4 mm. Name of Medical Institution removed I have a nerve test (EMG) on Wednesday and I am a little scared. I am not sure what it will be like and any insight would be greatly appreciated. Pain has been my constant companion for about 3 months now and the lack of sleep is the worst part. I am usually one of the most positive people you will ever meet but right now I am very low. The medication prescribed is a joke. I am taking lortab 3 times a day, Robaxin 2 times a day and Nuerontin 3 times a day. Will I recover or is this pain my future?

Post edited by Spine Health Moderator Team

• I'm glad to hear you are one of the most positive people anyone would ever meet. I understand your fears, as I believe many here do. I'd love to be able to tell you everything will be fine physically, but I'm no doctor. However, it may take a bit of time and you will need that positive attitude through it. Sometimes it'll bring you down and sometimes you'll just be able to maintain it. Do all you can to hold onto that positive attitude.

I had an EMG once. It seems long ago with the issues I'm now having. It was definitely an uncomfortable experience. It's hard to say to someone don't be scared. Everyone is so different in their experiences. The condition (for which I had the EMG) it took 5 months to recover and get back to work. So like I said, it may take a bit of time.

There are many positive resources like Chicken Soup has a book title Positive Thinking, there's a great devotional about spending time in His presence called Jesus Calling. I've found setting even small goals throughout my day (even though the only thing I could do on my own was go to the restroom! I think that was just out of 'good ole Texas' Spirit!) It helps some to be able to accomplish something or to plan ahead to something. It's a day by day process.

Hope this helps some, even a little. :)