Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 Week Post Op L4/L5 Fusion With Severe Butt Pain

nyokie66nnyokie66 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello and thank you for reading my post.

I have DDD at the L4/L5 level, been having this issue for 15 years. The pain was finally great enough to get it fixed. After a discussion with the NS we've decided to just do the fusion due to my body forming major scar tissue.

Right after surgery I was having discomfort in the upper butt area, but I thought this was due to the nurses not allowing me to lay on my side while in the hospital. Day 5 I called the nurse due to the pain, was taking 2 Percocet every 4 hours with little relief, plus a muscle relaxer. The doctor gave me a steroid dose pack and cut my pain meds to 1 every 4 hours. Had relief the next morning but has came back with vengeance.

My hips/butt on both sides are so tight it hurts to sit, walk, sleep, etc. I'm not having pain shooting down either leg. I did have pain in the right hip joint last night which I assumed was the ligament. For a few nights now I've been crying myself to sleep. :''(

I'm just not sure if this is normal so close to surgery. If you had similar issues what relief did you have?

I do have a call into the NS and hoping he'll react on this quickly.

Thank you,

• Welcome,
    I had a plif, "lumbar fusion" on 03/13, so I'm right behind you. I had major issues with swelling and it causes havoc on the system, making a lot of us think there are new issues. In some cases there are, but probably not a major issue. It is quite normal this close to your surgery to have leg pain, hip pain, and pain around the site.
    I have one thing to say. "ICE, ICE, ICE" okay, well that's 3 but I can't stress it enough that ice is the savior for post-op issues. The incision / operation site swells, pushing on nerves, bones, and all the fragile things in the back. I would do these 3 things.
    1) use a muscle relaxer(Change it if you don't feel any relief.)
    2) Ice, Ice, Ice.
    3) Keep walking - it's the best back strengthener.
    Good luck, and IM me if you want for more details.
    Left foramina stenosis of L3/L4 (retrolisthesis)
    L2-ilaic revision fusion ( loose screws) with a laminectomy at L3 (cage at L3-L4)
    (PLIF) -@ L4/ L/5 - S1 (cage at L4/L5)