Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

First experience with a cold snap...I feel like I could die

NotGivingUpNNotGivingUp Posts: 33
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Chronic Pain
I had always heard that chronic pain could worsen with changes in weather. My parents lived with horrible arthritis and would always complain about the cooler weather.

That was in Texas. I am living in the Upper Midwest.

After my annular tear at L4/L5, I was doing pretty well in the pain department. The numbness still frustrated me, but the searing pains weren't there.

Then again, it was 80-85 degrees.

We had a massive round of thunderstorms over the weekend, and I started getting little twinges in my buttocks and lower back. Like little needles randomly stabbing different spots (probably along the sciatic nerve).

Last night, my husband wanted to leave the windows open. I thought...What the heck? It got down to about 45 degrees overnight...65 (and damp) in the house. This morning, I'm just about disabled. A constant, gnawing ache with needles stabbing the back of my knee and into my ankle. The numbness never really turns to pins and needles for me (from the knee to my big toe in a "strip" of numbness), but, at times, it will worsen, making it feel like my foot is swollen. My foot drop is nasty, today. I'm so stiff.

AND...the leg unaffected by the lateral foraminal stenosis is actually aching like a mutha. It isn't as bad as the affected leg, but it is there.

Is there a hole I can crawl into? I read all the stories on here of people who've suffered with chronic pain like this for decades. I've had moderate to severe lower back pain for about a decade, myself, but the nerve pain...you can't do anything about it! Percocet doesn't do anything but make me wanna puke!

Dammit, I want my life back. :-(

• It does make everything worse! In Utah lately we are all over the place. We’ll have 50 and wind and rain one day – then 80 the next day, and warm and toasty. At night it might be 50-60, then the next night it freezes, or the wind blows all night and it rains like hell. It is definitely a pain roller coaster – there is no other way to describe it! I cannot stand to have the windows open at night; I can tell I am stiff and can hardly sit up to get out of bed, and then trying to walk is unreal. I’d suggest taking a hot bath – as hot as you can stand it in the morning. Take a percocett or two first, with a hot cup of coffee (or some type of hot beverage) I swear it makes it work faster and better. That is what I have to do, but it does help and gets things limbered up a bit.
  • Thank you for that suggestion! I did not even think of hopping in the bath. Awesome idea. I popped out the space heater and the heating pad, which is what I'm doing right now. A hot bath sounds just heavenly.

Thanks again!
  • I always put on some relaxing music and candles and bubbles too. I think just the relaxation aspect alone is beneficial. Good luck.. Gosh, makes me wish I was in a hot tub right now instead of at work...
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,841
    There are two major medications that work effectively in reducing nerve pain:

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Ever since my cervical fusion in 2009, my neck acts like a barometer, a lot of pain and aching whenever a cold front comes through. I found a hot bath is best although bio-freeze can tide me over. Cannot take Neurontin, Lyrica, or Tramadol. They mess with my head. I listened to Pink Floyd Animals for three weeks before my son threw it, and my neurotican away. On methadone now . Works better than anything i have ever been on.
  • We had a really bad thunderstorm July 1 about 1 am and about 30 minutes before it hit I started having severe back and leg pain. Then the storm hit and I realized that the pain was brought on by it. I had never noticed that before but grabbed my Gabapentin and pain pill. I will try to watch the weather and see if this continues to happen. As if we don't have enough to worry about now we have to be weather men...lol
  • DNiceDDNice Posts: 1,962
    edited 07/04/2012 - 2:06 AM
    you are now better than a weatherman. That's the positive...your body will probably tell you when a front is coming through. Then, when it does, you'll know when it's over...that's usually the best part.

Hot shower/bath can help. Or, I take a bit of Advil or anti-inflammatory...to take the edge off.

I did think of a nerve med like Ron suggests but have been fortunate to get by without it.
  • Thanks DNice, I never thought of it like that:) Just recently had to start Gabapentin though. I am 6 weeks post op for T 7-8 discectomy and have had lots of complications:( I am glad you do not have to take the stronger medications. I am also glad that you wrote back to me. I am brand new to forum and haven't had alot of response yet. I hope you are doing well:)
This discussion has been closed.