Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post op how/where will i be able to inject my insulin? any ideas?

welshladywwelshlady Posts: 121
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
realised today as i was injecting my insulin (three times a day) that i may not be able to inject myself in my stomach which is the only site i have ever had to inject. (on insulin for past 10 years). there must be others out there who are on insulin and have undergone a vertebrectomy? how did you manage? i did a 'search' and apologise if there are already threads out there for this, maybe i didnt put in the right words.

• I am not a diabetic, but was a nurse for 30 years.

The stomach has long been the preferred spot for insulin,as this is where the best absorption occurs, but you can also inject the top of the thigh sub-q or IM. (avoid inner thigh)

Talk to your medical doc or nurse in his office for optional sites, and regular site rotation. Where you inject also depends on the type or mix of insulins you are using. You can Google "diabetic injection sites" and find some good suggestions.

My guess is that since you have been doing this for so long it is almost 2nd nature for you. Practice on your stomach with your eyes closed and your neck held straight, and feel your way, literally. You will be surprised I think.

You will be on the road to recovery soon,

• thank you Dee for your support, i am going to try to not look and keep my head straight and see how i go, you are right, it must be something i just get on and do, glad i have a bit of practice time before hand though. panic over! thanks
  • Hi Dee, worry over nothing! i sat down to steady myself and managed just fine, it helped that i was opposite my reflective oven door so could sort of see what i was doing! thanks again.
  • What a great idea, a mirror! duh.

Life leads to such beautifully simple solutions sometimes when we just let go of the panic.

You are thinking ahead of the curve and that will help you on your road to recovery. Best of luck.

Praying for you,