Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ArachGirl422AArachGirl422 Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in New Member Introductions
I want to encourage anyone who has had spinal surgery or epidural injections for back pain or child birth, and is experiencing:

Severe pain in lumbar region
Leg pain
Hot/numbness in feet
numbness in hands
Tinnitus (hissing/ringing in the ears)
Spasms and cramps
Buzzing feeling all over
Nocturnal panic attacks
Memory and thinking problems

You should get an MRI - a flexion/extension MRI if possible and then take your MRI disc to a Neurosurgeon to see if you have Arachnoiditis. Many people are being diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Failed Back Syndrome, who actually have Arachnoiditis.

I am now in a wheelchair from damage to my spine from an epidural for childbirth. I am part of a support group for Arachnoiditis on Facebook. Come and join us if you have questions. Arachnoiditis is mainly caused by back surgeries and epidural injection. Here is a video one of my friends from our support group made recently:

• Thank you for the information! It may not help me but could help people I know.

Grade 4 tear in l4/l5 was missed in first MRI so did injections for a year
    SI joints "messed up" not sure if I will get them fused at a later time
    Had Open PLIF L4/L5 5/28/13
    Woke up to permanent nerve damage in legs and feet.
  • rosieleerrosielee Posts: 1
    edited 04/18/2013 - 11:32 AM
    Ive been a little unsure how to actually join a forum and after reading find it helpful and reassuring that others actually understand.
    Where to start really is the question??
    6 years ago i had my last child after having had 3 emergency sections of which the second one now has been recognised as to where my problems first started.
    i had spinal epidurals with all three and the second epidural took over 40 mins to be correctly inserted as i directed the person doing it i had to tell them when it wasnt sharp anymore!!, following this i became pregnant after being told i couldnt get pregnant again and had another spinal the final one.
    Ive had a real battle to finaly get a diagnosis it started in 2007 and my problems got worse quite quickly the hospital that dealt with me let me down anyone not dealing with me were very clear i had injury to my spine but the ones who dealt with me wouldnt commit or undermine there colleges!!
    I was diagnosed with degeneration of the spine and sent home and told there was nothing more could be done an try deal with it i was confined to a wheelchair an unable to walk.
    I was shaking really badly and felt very let down i was given numerous meds to try help the pain and was at the end of my witts i didnt know what i was going to do i had a teenager a toddler and a newborn to look after and at the time a man id spent most of my life with as a selfish husband!!! he was never home abused every aspect of our relationship and in the process got as much self attension as he could from me being poorly :-(
    I knew something wasnt right and now looking back really dont know how i got through each day!!
    I sought legal advice as there were other things during my last birth that i just couldnt forget such as on 3 occassions given next doors meds for pain following surgery,left in a corridor following surgery and not recovery,needle not inserted properly which drew lumps on my hand,surgeon not scrubbed and wearing long earrings during surgery,same tools used for my section sterilization and tidy up of scarred tissue,ecoli in my womb following surgery and septicemia to top that i wore red band with allergy notice and they pumped pennecillin into me!!
    The solicitors were very interseted and took my case on asap.
    During all this a letter was pulled in that my doctor had no knowledge of and it revealed that another doctor had note of my problems and suggested maybe i see him.
    i got to see another doctor who knew my family at the time and saw him he ruled out my previous diagnosis and as he was due to retire didnt want to commit but was annoyed that id been sent home in such a state he suggested i be sent for pain management at a hospital very far away and in the mean time be given rehabilitation to help me walk again, finaly this was something during this time i was advised to take the letter my solicitor got to my doctor and request to see this doctor who suggested to see me he had suspected a condition know as arachnoidotis but no one felt the need to send me to him i was told you havent got that you would be very unlucky!!! i started physio and it had to be stopped as it was making me worse the only benefit from it was my full metal boned harness id been wearing 24/7 was finaly removed.
    Anyway i finaly got to see this doctor in december 2009 and cant explain the feelings i had when i did.
    He was disgusted at the state i was in and examined me very closely other doctors were called in and student doctors he explained his thoughts and assured me it was as id suspected my nerves after more scans as id only had a basic mri and more tests i finaly got some answers i had two stages of arachnoidotis one from my second childs birth puncture of the arachnoid and two chemical reaction from my third spinal which inflamed the arachnoid i didnt know if i was happy or sad this doctor has been looking after me ever since he even appologised for the way id been treated my meds are assesed regularly! im anxious to know more and be kept informed on this condition as like many others i have to take each day as it comes id give anything just to have my life back to normal!! im happy as my children are healthy and happy and i now have my soulmate who loves and looks after me and the children. i not only lost my everyday life but my marrage at the time ended,i lost my job and home including my dignity and friends i hope i havent gone on to much but will be grateful to be kept posted on updates. many thanks rosielee :-)