Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

22 ddd on xrays

AidensMommy361AAidensMommy361 Posts: 56
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I'm sure some of you have read my posts from when I first joined. My doctor called last week and told my my xrays show ddd ranging from mild to moderate in my lower back. He also said he would speak to me more about it at my appointment. Now I have been having back pain since I was around 14-15...after my car accident in 2008 its gotten worse over the years. My lower back is horribly stiff. I guess my questions are…is it normal to have mild to moderate ddd at 22 (my birthday is Jan 19th so I just turned 22) and is it normal to cause the pain I am feeling? Could the ddd be what's caused my misaligned pelvis and sciatic pain? So far since December I have been taking neurontin-celebrex-norflex-klonopin- and I have had trial runs with a few others. I started pt but the first session irritated my sciatic so bad my leg went numb and I fell walking up the stairs to my apartment so my Dr said don't go back until I see him. Thanks for reading and id love to hear back from you all.

• DDD is a generic diagnosis for degenerative changes in the back that normally comes with age. It is not normal for someone who is 22 to have DDD but also not unheard of.
    Have you had an MRI? from the MRI the Dr can pinpoint the particular disc/vertabrae/nerve that should correlate to your symptoms.
    There is really no way for anyone on here to say with any certainty that DDD or anything else is the cause of your pain.
    When is your followup with your Dr?
    Good luck and hoping you get some answers.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • I know this post is from a while ago, but im a newcomer, and I would like to say it is DEFINATELY possible for 22 year old to have DDD. I've just turned 27 and have had it for the past 5 years, unfortunately it's only just been correctly diagnosed. The DDD will certainly be the causeof your sciatic pain - I'm in the same boat except mine is L5 S1.

Both legs - numb, pins and needles, burning pains... Only relief is laying down. The most recent bout has caused 7 weeks off work, and only allowed to return part time. It's debilitating to say the least. I'm taking lyrica, oxy norm and paradol osteo for breakthrough pain. It doesn't make it disappear, but it numbs it so I can function to about 30% capacity.

In my situation - physio is a definate NO NO! I've been warned against it until pain is tolerable without pain killers - it can make a bad situation worse.

Good luck, and I hope you're on the road to recovery!