Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

dirtmcgirtddirtmcgirt Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Now I know most of us fusion patients are at a high risk for needing our fusion to be revised.

Well last tuesday (5/1) was my 2nd revision this year (2/25/12) and third fusion since last march 2011.

Has anyone else experienced revisions so close together or even needing a revision after only 11 months.

My guy is the top guy out here at Cedars and he told me that I was 1 of 10,000 cases for the first revision, cant imagine the odds for the 2nd.

This last revision was by far the most excruciating experience of all 3, as it took 21 hours post-operatively to get my pain under control enough to be moved to my room.

I am just as mentally scarred as physically right now so I'm curious if there those out here who can relate. I can definitely use some support from my fellow fusion sufferers.

• I feel for you. I had a revision L4/5 in Dec and like you they had trouble getting my pain under control post op,it felt like my whole body was one mass of pain,thankfully though it only lasted for 30 minutes or so,I couldn't imagine 21 hours.

Could you explain why you had to have your last revision so soon? I never heard of that before just curious.

I hope this last revision is your last one and you can heal and get on with your life.

• I had the last revision because the 1st revision went from the anterior (when my initial fusion was posterior).

My neurosurgeon thought that switching out hardware visible from the anterior and inserting an allograft cadaver bone instead of the BMP, which cause my 1st fusion to fail (broken vertebrae, loose screws).

Anyway, I wasn't getting markedly better from revision #1 although the odd pain (different from general fusion pain) wasn't as widespread as before revision #1 but still disturbing.

Ultimately it was decided the large rods and hardware on the back of the spine would be excised and replaced with newer, bigger support hardware.
  • 3 days ago was my 11th month post op from my L5S1 TLIF.

Pain never went away and original Neuro and another Ortho in the practice swore up and down after MRI's and a CT I was fused.

Went looking outside for another set of eyes.

New neuro showed me point blank on a 27" screen my non-union on the same CT. He also insisted on a follow-up discogram as he thinks they transferred the load to a bad disk. .

Disco showed two more bad disks.

Can revisions be needed 11 months later? Yes, as I am most likely looking at a 3 level in the near future. Can 2 doctors say "fused" and be wrong... Yes.

Good luck...

Jun 2011 -TLIF @L5-S1
    Mar 2012 -NonUnion @L5S1
    May 2012 -Multi Level Discography
    July 2012 -XLIF 2Cages @L3L4/L4L5
    Aug 2012 -All New Hardware @L34L45/L4L5/L5S1
    Mar 2013 -FBSS = Pain Management until they figure it out.
  • I am stunned and saddened to hear your comments. I know for my case, I was told my issue with BMP degeneration and microfractures of the vertebrae were a 1 in 10,000 case issue for my neurosurgeon who is a the department head at cedars sinai in beverly hills, california.
  • I know that revisions can be extremely painful. If you have a had a couple of revisions already, why don't you seek a second opinion?
  • L5S1 = June 2011

Revision L5S1 + added in L4L5 & L3L4 = Aug 2012

It happens... new NS this time and using a Bone Growth Stimulator daily...

Good luck...
    Jun 2011 -TLIF @L5-S1
    Mar 2012 -NonUnion @L5S1
    May 2012 -Multi Level Discography
    July 2012 -XLIF 2Cages @L3L4/L4L5
    Aug 2012 -All New Hardware @L34L45/L4L5/L5S1
    Mar 2013 -FBSS = Pain Management until they figure it out.