Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone else on Lidocaine patch?

H20 babyHH20 baby Posts: 104
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My MD just gave me a new thing to try for the nerve pain. It's lidocaine in a 12 hour patch. Has anyone else had experience with this?

I just got off all the heavy opiates and don't want to go back. I take tramodol for pain now, but wanted something different for nerve pain breakthroughs instead of Percocet.

So far so good. They are expensive because no generic yet, but you can cut in half or thirds.(which I do, a pack of 30 is $120 !!!)I have had success with nerve pain when I put it on the spot where the "hot burning poker" seems to be.

I know that with these you have to be strict with the usage guidelines and not overdo. The side effects listed are scary.
Anyone else had these prescribed? Good or bad results?

I am lucky in that I don't have any other chronic health issues.

• Hello, I used them for 3-4 weeks post-op. I never could tell if they were helping. Good luck.
    Left foramina stenosis of L3/L4 (retrolisthesis)
    L2-ilaic revision fusion ( loose screws) with a laminectomy at L3 (cage at L3-L4)
    (PLIF) -@ L4/ L/5 - S1 (cage at L4/L5)
  • Lidocaine did nothing for me, but Flector patches works great for nerve pain. Everyone's different, but I swear by Flector which is also a 12 hour patch. They might be even more expensive.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,858
    can be very helpful. I've been using them for over 5 years now. At times, I have had 4 patches over my cervical, thoracic and lumbar areas. When I started to have shoulder problems, I use them there also, as well when I had hip problems

No, they are not going to correct things, but they sure do provide a solid means of reducing some pain.

They may help as long as you use them. I have gone through stretches where I used one of those patches for over 4 months. Without using them, I would have had a much more difficult time

They do help
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • The Lidocaine patches as well and they have been a Great help with the pain.
    ACDF C4-C7 5/13/2010. Synthetic Bone Graft Failed Fusion.
    PCF C4-C7 8/13/13. Rods and Screws Fused in 3 Months with Autograft.
    C6-C7 Spineous process Surgically Shaved Off 3/11/14.
  • Thankyou all for the input.

They are helping, I just needed to give them time to be effective. It seems to be like when I take oral meds, it takes about an hour for enough absorption to take place that I get relief.

I really like the non-narcotic option.