Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 hr ride home

GuyBGGuyB Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi yall ! I am new to this forum and i need some advice..
I am having a ACDF (c5c6c7) in the morning with 1 night in the hospital.. I will have a 2 hr ride home on Friday. Im a little worried about the ride home.. I will be taking plenty of pillows, but what else do i need to do?

This 61 year old baby is getting nervious???!!!

May everyone be without Pain !

• If you discuss your anxiety over the ride home, perhaps your doctor will give you an extra shot, dose, whatever, of the happy juice :)

I know of a guy on YouTube who had a MiS TLIF and had a 3 hr drive. He said it wasn't as bad as he thought if I remember right and he didn't remember much of it.

Good luck tomorrow! I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Oh last minute tip,Walgreens sells instant ice packs. Get plenty of those for the trip back!

Grade 4 tear in l4/l5 was missed in first MRI so did injections for a year
    SI joints "messed up" not sure if I will get them fused at a later time
    Had Open PLIF L4/L5 5/28/13
    Woke up to permanent nerve damage in legs and feet.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    Instead be prepared.
    Besides the extra pillows, bring along some ice packs. That should help in numbing the area and make it a bit more comfortable.

Every car has its own ways in handling bumps and turns. Just try to relax and hope your driver is going to help you ut as much as they can.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have a three hour ride home and I'm having surgery in the morning as well. I have pillows, and a barf bag. My surgeon may keep me an extra night. We are playing it by ear, and he said he would give me good drugs for the ride home.
  • Its 2:30 in the morning and i can't sleep, to much on my mind about the surgery.. Thanks for the tips will be getting some ice bags.. I didn't think about ice bags..

sissyjane Good luck tomorrow! I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Thanks again
  • Good luck to you as well!
  • GuyB,

I had my lumbar fusion in Florida, and I live in NC. My dr in FL had me wait 2 weeks before I could do the 600 mile trip and at that time I used what the people here have already suggested. Ice was critical, and I used it every hour or so- it was a life saver. Also, make sure you recline the seat so the pressure is off your spine.

We also stopped and I got out and walked around every 2 hours for 20-30 min.

I'm sure for the 2 hour trip waiting 2 weeks is not needed and we travel per the doctors orders, but I recommend stopping halfway and get out and stretch your legs (listen to the Dr on this) but I think they would agree it's critical post-op to keep the blood flow going and not to cramp up.

I'm not a doctor, but these things helped me post-op
    Good luck and hang in there.
    Left foramina stenosis of L3/L4 (retrolisthesis)
    L2-ilaic revision fusion ( loose screws) with a laminectomy at L3 (cage at L3-L4)
    (PLIF) -@ L4/ L/5 - S1 (cage at L4/L5)
  • Well I made it back home. Useing the icepacks was a big help and laying seat back helped too..

On 5/10/2012 I had ACDF on C5C6C7.. The disk between c5-c6 replace, with hugh bone spurs taken off c5.. He then replace the disk between c6-c7 with normal bone spurs. Then fused them together..

Before the surgery I could bearly use my right arm... There was a lot of weakness and pain in the neck, shoulder and arm. When you fix appliances for a living this was not good.. Just my wife and I run a appliance repair bussiness.

I am proud to say that the weakness and pain is now 90% gone... I was shocked that i could hold my arm
    sraight out and hold it there with no pain... My Dr. a neurosurgeon was a God send!! I was afraid I had some permanent damage..

Now all I need is healing time and get some PT later.. Thanks for listening!

May everyone be without Pain!
  • I took my drugs before I left the hospital, and used a squishy pillow. I made it! Nothing terrible. Now I'm happy to be home and on the road to recovery!
  • sissyjane
    glad you are back at the house... Hope your recovery goes great... Remember it takes time to heal..

God Bless
  • I love this thread already.
  • I'm glad to hear that you are home and feeling better now. It's extremely daunting making your way home after surgery, I hope you had someone who was able to travel with you.