Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

dyneses spinal fusion

belgravia1bbelgravia1 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi i had dyneses flexible spinal fusion to L4 L5 and S1 4 years ago all was ok with small aches in back untill around 6 months ago. I now have same pre opp pain but in slightly higher area. I am waiting to be seen as an out patient at orthapedics and am scared i will need more surgery. Has anyone else had similar problems after this surgery.

• Hello to you, sorry to hear you are having issues. I had the exact same surgey in Aug, 2010. Although it did help some of my issues, I am in much worse pain now.I had issues since day 1. After many visits to my surgeon after surgery and hearing, "give it time " he finally washed his hands of me and said I need to find someone to do a spinal canal stimulator (SCS). Well thats what I did, infact I had 2 different types and either one helped.

Out of options and taking more pain pills than I care to take (very little relief )about 3 months ago I found a new neurosurgeon. He reads my chart and says"ohhh, you have them fancy screws and stuff " and continues to say "there is only one problem with the Dynesys.....IT DON'T WORK !"

He then gave me a very rigid back brace to wear for a month to see if it helped stabilize the "stabilizer" and it did somewhat.

I am now going in Tuesday for a 2 level ALIF... he feels very confident that this will help...he is going to leave the Dynesys in because my fresh MRI shows that it is in good shape and no other issues with my spine.

I hope that you can find some relief because I can assure you, I know exactly how you feel !
  • hi thank you for your reply i hope your new procedure went ok and you are now recovering. I am finally seeing consultant next monday hopefully to have a mri scan to see whats going on. I had disgoram before last surgery and really really dont want to have that again as was so painfull.
    I have looked at most posts here and no-one else seems to have had same dynesys surgery . I have moved to different county since last surgery. The county i am in doesnt agree with the surgery, only the fixed spinal surgery, and wont see me. I had to be refered back to original county to be seen, Doctor has had to apply to p.c.t for out of area funding. Its been a total nightmare.
  • p.s
    whats a 2 level ALIF ?
  • It is a anterior lumbar interbody fusion. They go in to the spine from the front, as in belly area, and take out the discs and put in a cage in its place. 2 level means they have done the same thing on 2 different levels.
  • Hello again..I hope all went well at your appointment yesterday..I agree with you about the discogram. I had one prior to first surgery and don't care if I ever have another.
    I am home recovering from my. 2 level ALIF surgery. Everything went accordingly and I am doing fairly well.I had a small spinal fluid leak after surgery and had the worse headache I've ever experienced. I had to lay flat unil it healed up which caused me alot of back pain but the headache eased up in about 18 hrs.I spent 3-½ days in the hospital and came home on Friday.
    I had a great weekend with very minamal pain,mostly from the 8 inch vertical insicion on my belly... even had a little family get-together Saturday eve. But on Monday I started to have some bothersome pain. I am having trouble getting comfortable whether I'm sitting, standing or laying down. They say it is to be expected due to swelling in the vertebrae from the work they had done.
    I also have to wear a back brace and a bone growth stimulator. The only time the brace can come off is when I am sleeping in bed.
    I do hope that you can get through all the hoops that so many of us have to go through to get some relief...Again the best of luck to you and keep us posted.