Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Drug Testin

workingmomwworkingmom Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Pain Medications
I took a drug test and tested positive for xanax. I had a prescription for it from Sept. 2011, and still had some left and took some the day before my drug test because i was nervous about my job interviews. WIll ifail my drug test because my prescription was from sept. 2011? i thought the prescription didn't expire for 1 year? i am just worried that they will fail me for a 7 month old prescription. PLEASE HELP!!!!

• Didn't you have to fill out a form stating what medication, if any, that you are prescribed?

Are you still under the care of the Dr. who prescribed this medication? As in, when was the last appt. to see him?

I personally, wouldn't have taken any medication before a drug test you knew was happening weeks ago...

If you have such severe anxiety...you should be under strict watch from your Dr. as well as having weekly counseling sessions...

Because normal stress is that before a job...and most people handle this easily....and without medication..

What is your diagnosis to use the medication?

This is what will matter to them...They may want the phone number to call the Drs. office....As well as they will ask whether this is something you are going to be taking while working there.

If you only have mild anxiety....then using all the non medicinal tools to help would be best. Deep breathing, exercise, yoga, counseling, CBT, massage, acupuncture, listening to certain music...

Staying away from alcohol and caffeine as well as cigarettes....

Anyway....hopefully you were honest with them if there was a form to list this and hand to them before the test...

Keep us posted...
  • I took the xanax before a job interview and didn't know they were going to give me a drug test. I just take it for occ. anxiety and only use it about 4-6 times a year. I do go to a therapist and that helps, but they gave me the xanax to use only when ineed to use it.
  • You need to get a note from your doctor stating they have prescribed it to you and how it's prescribed (take as needed, etc). You should have also disclosed it on the form you would have been provided before the drug test. If you didn't, then you lied and they will not hire you based simply on that.

This is also not a board where you'll find a lot of support or answers/advice on drug testing related issues. Especially to someone who just joined. This is a forum for pain and spine issues. We support each other and try to provide a warm and healthy environment. So, please feel free to stay and get to know us if you've got pain or spine issues. If you're just seeking drug advice, don't expect much help there.
  • We understand that you took the Xanax before the interview...

My question is still whether they had a form for you to sign when taking the drug test that had you list any prescribed drugs that you were on...

So I was asking....did you list the Xanax on this with the Drs. name and number.

Or did you put that you were not on any medication?

As Certified mentions...this will be the crux of the issue whether you lied about it or let them know you took the medicine...

There is not much you can do now as what is done is done....but this certainly could be a reason that you don't get hired unfortunately...

But at least you will know for next time that if you only take a medicine a few times a year....then not taking it before an interview would be good...Or, just make sure you disclose this with the information on the Dr.

Good luck..
  • One time, years ago when darvocet was still around, I had to take a UA for a job I wanted badly. However, I stopped taking it two weeks prior to the test. I was SURE it wouldn't show up after so much time so I didn't list it. Well, I was wrong, it did show up! They called me and asked about it. Gulp!

I told them the prescription number, the pharmacy name, the doctor's name and number and I got the job. I found out later they never even bothered calling to verify. I am still with this employer, although in a different department, four years later. It's not the end of the world if you can prove its a valid RX. No employer can dictate how often you see the doctor for any condition. Good luck to you! :)