Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need surgery, not in much pain.

gmht1989ggmht1989 Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had an mri two months ago during an episode of facial numbness. I was informed I had problems in my cervical spine and told to see a NS. I never really had pain in the area so it was a surprise. The NS showed me on the mri where i have three bulging/ruptured discs and two are pressing on the cord. He told me there is no fluid to protect the cord from any accidents. I told him that I was a police officer and he told me that I was risking paralysis from a blow or car accident and should have three level acdf. I have since gotten a second opinion and they told me the same thing, that as active as I am I am at great risk for something bad happening at those levels where the cord is compressed. It may sound strange but I am having a hard time with the fact that I dont have much pain at all. Some electrical shock sensation in hands,arms and feet but nothing terrible. I have seen the mri and see the problem but it is hard to do this. I worry I may be setting myself up for more pain. I guess the paralysis chance should be all I need to know but it is really hard.

• I am sorry to hear of your predicament! Do you have a teaching hospital near you? I was in the same situation and had 4 opinions where docs said I needed a cervical fusion. The teaching hospital was able to do a minimally invasive procedure and it fixed the problem (mostly)! Also, my 2 neuros told me that surgery is not great at reducing pain and is usually reserved for nerve symptoms which are more dangerous and can cause paralysis, so that makes sense. You can PM me if you have any questions about my cervical surgery. I hope everything goes well for you!
  • Hi gmht1989 it sounds like you have the same as me,the electrical shock sensation in hands,arms, in time will in be there all the time, I am having my op this friday, did your mri look like this ? ">image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • on the left side yes. nothing really on the right side of the cord. shocks still come and go. i think that i have changed the way i walk and sit because my lower back hurts some now. i hate i am having to wait so long for the surgery. i could have had it a week after dr. visit. i tend to dwell on it so much.
  • My husband is retired law enforcement, and had a two level ACDF with hardware twelve years ago. He was off of work for six months, and then did six months of light duty. He was able to return to his regular job and fulfilled all of his years and was given a full retirement. It's possible!

I just had a two level ACDF two weeks ago, and am recovering. It's doable. Not fun, but oh so much better than the alternative.