Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 weeks post op ALIF and doing great

ezraeezra Posts: 72
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Today I had my 6 week post op appointment after a two level ALIF and it went very well. I got to see my x rays from the day of surgery and 6 weeks post op together and my Dr. said they looked wonderful, that nothing has moved and he can tell I've been following his post op insrtuctions. They told me I should be the poster child for this operation I'm doing so well. I get to start weaning out of the brace and in three weeks I can stop wearing the brace altogether. I'm still using the bone growth stimulator until told otherwise

I still have pain at my tailbone, hip area but it isn't as bad as the pain was before surgery and most importantly I have times now where I don't have any pain at all. It's been over three years since I have been pain free for even a few hours, so this is great.

Overall I feel like a new person, even my Dr. could tell the difference this has made in my mood.

I just wanted to come back and say don't let all the horror stories scare you off of surgery if you feel it's your last option. I was so afraid of this surgery and just worried about the horrid recovery and all of that but because I had read all of the horror stories I was prepared for this to be a lot worse than it really was. I'm not saying it can't be that bad just that it wasn't for me. I'm also very young and with the exception of being overweight in good health so that could have had some factor in doing so well with it, though I don't know that for sure. But anyways thanks for listening

• but don't for get its very early days jet {at six weeks post op i was still unable to move /walk and was very ill.and required help around the clock } so you have been extremely lucky .
    but remember you have had major surgery and its still heeling inside ..please be very careful.and don't try to over do stuff ..good luck
    tony {ps at 4 months still in loads of pain not sleeping and original pain is as bad as ever and i have new problems from the surgery !}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014