Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test


kemokimokkemokimo Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in New Member Introductions
I am guy 68 years old guy who has had back pain most my life. Started on a long auto trip when I was in my 20's. I have been able to manage with stretching, exercise and yoga. Recently, however, something new has been added. When I bend forward for even a short period and then straighten up, I hear and feel a click in my lower spine. As a result, I now have a chronic deep aching pain in my lower back most of the day. The only real relief for it is to lie down. I have tried physical therapy, pain management(steroid injections and selective nerve root block) and accupuncture. I am about to try a chiropractor but I don't have much hope.

From what I've read, I think I have what is called a slipped disk although I'm not exactly sure what that is. I'm thinking I need surgery, preferably minimally invasive. I read about the North American Spine Institute which seems promising. Before I trust them to have a go at my spine, however, I think that I should have a neurogist or orthopedic doctor here in Houston recommend them and try to pinpoin my problem and recommend a solution. I am thinking a neurologist because if the NASI can do what it advertises, the affected nerves could be disabled somehow and the slipped disk would no longer cause pain.

What do you think? Exactly what kind of doctor in Houston should I have diagnose the cause of my pain and is the North American Spine Institute a reputable outfit. They make a small incision a the bottom of the spine and use a computer controlled procedure that where a small tool/injector on a cable can travel an inner tunnel that runs it's length and deactivate the affected nerves under the aid of a some kind of scope.


  • Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are having back issues.
    Why do you think you need surgery? Did you have a MRI? Or other tests?

    Folks will not recommend doctors on the forum but I think it is ok to share in private message (PM). So keep an eye out there.

    I would see a specialist like you mentioned. A neurosurgeon or orthopedic spine specialist. Also, back surgery is not something to take lightly. It is major surgery even if it is "minimally invasive". The minimally invasive is just smaller incision that implies "easier"recovery because they do not cut through the muscles but the surgery is still major and it is important to understand the risks vs alternative options. So if someone recommends surgery, get a 2nd opinion.

  • Seems like your kinda putting the cart before the horse on this one. You need to see a orthopedic Dr. to start things off and find out what is causing your problem (s). If surgery is needed then look for a surgeon that does nothing but work on spines.

    In my eyes you are a long ways off from needing surgery and has been posted it is not something to take lightly.

    The forum will not allow you to mention names of medical places and will edit it out if you don't.
  • What inappropriate discussions? What attacks and slanderous comments.
  • That statement has nothing to do with you.
  • I recently had an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon at University of Texas Spine and Scoliosis Center in a branch of Memorial Hermann Hospital System. I reasoned that going to a doctor that specializes in spines with a teaching hospital was as good as I could do. I brought with me a cd of an MRI of my spine from 11/2011. I explained that I had had back pain for a long time but with the onset of the clicking in my lower spine when bending and then straightening up the pain was so bad I was spending a good deal of time on my back. He seemed to pay little attention to this and after spending about 30 seconds looking at the MRI he said that what I needed was therapy and aerobic conditioning.
    I told him that I had already had physical therapy with no results but he said that the doctor he was recommending would get resutls. What do you think?
  • I hate it when that happens. Either you scared him with your condition orhe was having a bad day. It happens. I would probably try to suck it up and get another opinion at the same place if they have other surgeons that are spine specialists. Most have more then one.

    Over the years I have learned to try to bring surgeons back onto the subject of why I was there to see them. Most don't like it as they see themselves as the last say in things. They are to some degree but you are also half the equation also. I would guess, and it only a guess, that he didn't have a clue as to what is causing your clicking in your back and the easiest way to get rid of you was to do what he did and that was to blow you off with no answer.
Sign In or Register to comment.