Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need advice, tired of the pain

LizPLLizP Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Chronic Pain
I'm 23 years old and have had chronic back pain for the past 9 years. I injured myself in high school by tweaking an oblique muscle during swim team. I suffered from extreme back spasms for years, learning to live with the pain. I then went to college and played goalie for a D1 lacrosse team. During my time playing I reinjured myself. I received electro-stim therapy every day before and after practice/games to try to manage the pain. I've seen many doctors and haven't gotten a clear diagnosis.

After years of dealing with this pain, my last MRI showed two minor bulging disks. It was a bit of a relief to finally have something solid to point to. My pain and spasms occur in my lower back and left side, making it feel as if I've been punched in my ribs a bunch of times. When I'm especially stressed or tired the pain shoots up through my shoulder and neck...not fun.

I don't sleep through the night because I have to adjust my position every few hours. I also have a hard time working out. Doctors tell me to use my pain as a guide, but if I did that I would never work out.

I have tried acupuncture, massage, the chiropractor and electro-stim therapy. I have tried muscle relaxers and pain killers but don't like them and have a family history of drug abuse so I steer clear of them. I have been trying Lyrica but haven't had much success with that either, it has just been making me really tired. And I tried a cortisone injection but it only gave me relief for a few day and I had an adverse reaction to it. I have also gotten myself in better shape with running, swimming and doing yoga regularly.

I am looking for any sort of advice anyone has. I'm afraid of surgery because I am pretty young, but I've been in pain for so long that I'm losing hope. I force myself to go about life but I'm constantly tired and always in pain. Has anyone had any success?? Are there any other medications people find useful? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

• Ozone has been used to treat herniated discs,

google it.
    Live to Pray
  • that can be tried, nuerontin, cymbalta to name two. When taking meds there is always a trade off, are the side effects worth the benefits?
    Have you gone to a physiatrist?
    I have a portable TENS unit I use as well as heat and numerous meds but don't get a lot of relief either.
    Chronic pain is not as well understood as many other diseases. I recently read an article where they may have isolated the region of the brain responsible for chronic pain, if they are correct there may be new meds on the horizon.

One thing to remember with surgery, it is often performed to stabilize and prevent further damage, usually you won't get a guarantee that it will stop the pain.
    Best of luck and let us know how you are doing.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • Physical therapy sounds worth trying adn would seem like a natural fit if you haven't already. The other thing would be something like amitriptyline at night only - one of old anti-depressants that helps with back pain but also getting into a deeper sleep.
This discussion has been closed.