Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Expected recovery

LuvmydogLLuvmydog Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I was curious if I am just being a wuss here but I had an ACDF with a bone graph taken from my hip. The dr has me in a hard cervical collar that I wear all the time. My hip where they took my bone hurts by the end of the day it's rediculous. It's swollen and the pain even goes down my inner thigh and across my lower back. The rest of my back is as hard as a rock with knots. I can't stretch anything, I ask my Neuro each time I go in for something but not until 12 weeks I'm about half way right now and he says wear brace, rest, don't lift anything heavier than a pint and have family do things for me. I live alone and I can't stay in bed like dr said. What I want to know from others is when did the pain meds no longer become needed. My family has made me feel like the biggest Wuss since week one. I had a 3 level fusion and he sent me home with 5 mg Norcos after 2 days in hospital. I have PM dr that prescribes me my pain meds. My family has called me a drug addict for this and has abandoned me. I'm 31 and I would love to show them what the typical time one takes to recover from this and what kind of med is usually given? Thank You!

• Although i didn't have the exact same things done that you did i did have three levels done and it took quite a long time for me to feel better afterwards. I was taking nerve pain med. Tylenol 3's for a while,but my family doc. wouldn't prescribe them to me again after my prescription was finished.I just went to a clinic a got another one, my surgeon refused to give them to me because i didn't see him allot after the surgery.But it definitely took me probably four months before my pain really came down.
  • Jennifer,

I'm just guessing here, but I imagine no one in your family has ever had any type of nerve pain, either back or neck. If they had, they would understand.

WE understand.

I had a bone graft from my hip and it took me longer to heal from that than my neck surgery.(only 1 level)Partially because I was in a hard collar too, think of it like a cast on an arm, so it was immobilzed, but I had to stand on that hip, just to go to the bathroom! I had a walker in hospital, but went home with nothing. Had problems too, so I got a cane. It helped some, luckily it was on my good arm side.

As to pain meds, you're PM wouldn't be giving meds if they thought were an addict. You are getting meds because you have pain! I was on alot of meds for over a year after my fall, but my circumstances are quite abit different.

It takes usually up to 3 months for a fusion to heal fully. A simple fracturee in a cast is 6-8 weeks. Bone just takes along time to knit back together, and then you have to rehab your muscles etc. Nerves are even slower healers, up to a year before you can really know if there's any type of permanent issues.

I had a traumatic injury and suffered some permanent damage, but I'm walking and moving, so I'm grateful. It's hard to be patient, but give yourself time.

BTW, if your pain meds aren't doing the job, let your PM know, they are much better at that than the surgeons, IMO.

I hope your recovery is easier with each day,