Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

CleverlilcloverCCleverlilclover Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 9:02 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all! I had an ACDF of my c5/6 on April 5, 2012. My issues started in 2006 after a car accident. Chevy suburban vs. Volkswagen Fox. As you may have guessed, the Suburban won. I've been in and out of doctors offices since. At first everything was okay (not great) and I could manage pain with PT and ibuprofen. I settled with the insurance company and thought I was leaving it all behind.

In 2008 I started taking care of my granny. She lost the use of her left leg due to stenosis. The neurosurgeon told her because of her age, she wasn't a candidate for surgery. Granny can walk a bit thanks to an impressive PT team but when she leaves her home she needs a wheelchair.

I never thought that taking care of someone could cause so much damage to my spine. It started with burning in the right shoulder then burning down my right arm. I went to PT (paying out of my own pocket because I had no insurance) and diligently followed any direction given. The burning in the shoulder turned into burning AND sharp pain and the burning in my arm turned into numbness and weakness. As an uninsured person, I never went to the doctor.

Skip ahead to november 2011...

I was still caring for granny and still having issues with my right arm. Then I lost the strength and feeling in my left arm. I couldn't do my job taking care of granny, I couldn't even open a bottle of water... I went to see a doc.

I had an MRI. I went to PT. I had steroid injections. Nothing was helping. In fact, the PT was actually making it worse. I was told on Dec 21st that I wouldn't get better without surgery.

To make a long story short, it took months to acquire insurance to be able to have surgery.

On Tuesday I go to see my surgeon for my post-op. I am terrified because I have worse pain than I had before on the left side of my neck, into my shoulder, and down to my elbow. The nurse who fields phone calls for prescriptions treats me like I'm some kind of addict while telling me the pain is just from surgery. Ive tried every week for the past 3 to tell her that this pain is different. Her answer was to drop my meds from oxycodone to Tylenol 3. (I can't take Vicodin, I don't know why it makes me ill)

I'm afraid I won't be able to make my surgeon understand that I am in worse pain now than I was before he played with my spine. I'm terrified that I'm destined to become someone who never gets rid of their pain while being treated like some kind of addict. I am terrified the fusion didnt work and he has to go back in.

That is my story thus far.

• Remember the saying "Don't put the cart before the horse". You have no idea how the surgeon will react to your new pain issue. So go to your appointment with an open mind and just be frank with him and saying "here's the deal"

Nurses and PA who field calls for surgeons, are usually pretty jaded towards someone asking for more narcotic pain reliever. I wouldn't hold it against them, they probably have not clue.

Welcome to Spine Health,,

• Youre right ;-)
    Open mind, non- confrontational attitude.
    Just breathe.

Thanks for the reminder to slow down and not get ahead of yourself.
  • It's a shame you developed this because of the good work you were doing. You're not alone - nurses have a tendency to get back injuries. Try to talk to your doctor and tell him in detail what the pain issues have been. He may feel that it is because of your going through the healing process. Part of my pain after surgery was from muscle spasms and from probable pinched nerves from inflamed muscles around my shoulder blade.

Take care,

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Tne surgeon said everything is perfect. He said they he'll make sure that in PT they'll ultrasound the area that hurts. My surgeon is so pleased with how my X-rays looked that he's going to use them in a class he teaches!

I apparently was worried about nothing.
  • so happy for you Cleverlilclover,....
    and it's a lesson we all need to review... :) no cart before the horse!!! gonna remember that one.